Electron Inside the Nucleus on Helium Atoms Problem

In summary, quantum mechanics challenges the traditional theory of electrons within the nucleus, and instead proposes that a confined electron is a standing wave with a maximum wavelength of 4 times the nucleus radius. By analogy, the nucleus can be compared to a "string" with a length of 2 times the radius. Using formulas for kinetic energy and potential energy, it can be shown that the kinetic energy of the electron is much greater than the attractive potential energy at the surface of the nucleus. This supports the idea that the electron cannot be found within the nucleus due to the uncertainty principle and relativistic effects.
Xeniebop

Homework Statement

Quantum mechanics makes the electrons-in-the-nucleus theory untenable (for example on helium nucleus where before they know that a neutron exist, they thought that it was composed of four protons and 2 electrons). A confined electron is a standing wave, whose wavelength in the nucleus could be no longer than approx. 4R (R=radius of nucleus).

By analogy, the "fundamental" standing wave on a string has a wavelength satisfying L=1/2(lambda). In the case of the nucleus the "length of the string" is 2R.

Assuming a nuclear charge of 2e and a typical nuclear radius of R=5E-15. Show that the kinetic energy of an electron standing wave confined in the nucleus would be much greater then the magnitude of the attractive potential energy when the electron is at the surface of the nucleus?

And also I am confused about this, why at the surface of the nucleus? can the electron be found somewhere inside? and Is the electron moving fast or slow so I'm not sure if i have to consider relativistic effects.

Homework Equations

well here are the formulas I used (I don't know if they are correct)

For the kinetic energy of the electron
K=p^2/2m (p=momentum, m=mass)

to find the momentum I used

p=h/(lambda) (h=plank's, lamda=wavelength)

and to find lamda I used the given

1/2 lamda = 2 R thus, lamda=4R

To find the potential) i used (coulumb's law?)

U= 1/[4(pi)Eo] * (q1q2)/R

where q1=+2e (charge of the nucleus), q2=-e(charge of electron) and R=Radius of nucleus
(should i consider the contribution by the other electron, Helium has two electron right?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I did the math and I indeed got K>U, kinetic energy is higher. But I'm not sure if my approach is correct ^^;

thanks ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the electron cannot be found in the nucleus, because the uncertainty principle will require a momentum uncertainty so high, so inside the nucleus it's worse. So i think you have to calculate the uncertainty in momentum of electron in nucleus surface, and use the relativistic energy E^2=(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2, to show aproximatelly that uncertainty in energy is so high compared with potencial energy.

1. What is the Electron Inside the Nucleus on Helium Atoms Problem?

The Electron Inside the Nucleus on Helium Atoms Problem is a fundamental question in quantum mechanics that asks why electrons do not fall into the nucleus of an atom, given their opposite charges and the attractive force between them.

2. Why is the Electron Inside the Nucleus on Helium Atoms Problem significant?

The solution to this problem helps us understand the stability of atoms and the behavior of electrons, which is crucial in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and electronics.

3. What are some proposed explanations for the Electron Inside the Nucleus on Helium Atoms Problem?

Some proposed explanations include the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of an electron with absolute certainty, and the concept of electron orbitals, where electrons exist in a probability cloud around the nucleus rather than at a specific location.

4. How is the Electron Inside the Nucleus on Helium Atoms Problem related to the structure of the periodic table?

The solution to this problem helps explain the patterns observed in the periodic table, specifically the arrangement of elements based on their electron configurations and the number of valence electrons they have.

5. What are some current research efforts to solve the Electron Inside the Nucleus on Helium Atoms Problem?

Current research efforts include using advanced computational methods to study the behavior of electrons in atoms, as well as experiments using high-energy particle accelerators to probe the structure of atoms and their nuclei.