Gravity Strength: Moon vs Earth Ratio of Height Reached

In summary, the strength of gravity on the moon is 1/6 of that on earth. When a ball is thrown straight upward on the moon with initial velocity Vo, the ratio of the height it reaches to the height it would reach on earth, if also thrown upward with velocity Vo, is 6. This ratio is not dependent on Vo and can be found by setting up an equation of motion for each situation.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

The strength of gravity on the moon is 1/6 of that on earth. If a ball is thrown straight upward on the moon with initial velocity Vo the ratio of the height it reaches to the height it would reach on earth, if also thrown upward with velocity Vo is:

1/6
depends on Vo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT: I got 6 I want to know if this is correct because it is a review question for an exam I have in an hour. Can someone help me out? I solved 2 kinematic equations with Vo with the only knowns being the gravity acclerations and got x on Earth = Vo^2 / (2g) and x on the moon to be = 6Vo^2 / (2g)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While the distances the ball travels upward on either the Earth or the moon will depend on V_o, the ratio of them will not.

Try to set up an equation of motion for each situation. Using the two equations you should see that you can find an equation for the ratio that is not dependent on V_o.

right I did an edit to show I got 6 is that correct?

Correct.:smile:

1. What is the difference in gravity strength between the moon and Earth?

The gravity strength on the moon is approximately one sixth of the gravity strength on Earth. This means that objects will weigh six times less on the moon compared to their weight on Earth.

2. How does the ratio of gravity strength affect the height reached on the moon compared to Earth?

Due to the lower gravity strength on the moon, objects will be able to reach higher heights compared to Earth. This is because the force of gravity is not as strong, allowing objects to overcome it and reach higher altitudes.

3. Can humans jump higher on the moon due to the difference in gravity strength?

Yes, humans can jump approximately six times higher on the moon compared to Earth because of the lower gravity strength. This is why astronauts are able to take larger and more impressive leaps on the moon.

4. How does the ratio of gravity strength between the moon and Earth affect the motion of objects?

The lower gravity strength on the moon means that objects will fall slower and have a slower rate of acceleration compared to Earth. This also means that it will take longer for objects to reach the ground when dropped from the same height.

5. Is the ratio of gravity strength between the moon and Earth constant?

Yes, the ratio of gravity strength between the moon and Earth is constant. This is because gravity is determined by the mass and distance between two objects, and these factors do not change significantly between the moon and Earth.