How Is Tension Calculated in Tarzan's Rope Swing?

In summary, Tarzan, weighing 688 N, swings from a cliff using a 18 m long vine and descends 3.2 m. The work done by the rope during his swing is zero as the force it exerts on him is perpendicular to his motion. The tension in the rope when he reaches the bottom of his swing is 932.62 N, assuming he started from rest. For the problem of a 35 kg child climbing a 4.5 m high spiral slide and reaching a speed of 3.3 m/s at the bottom, the work done by friction can be determined using the equation W = mgh - 1/2mv^2. The tension in the rope does not do any
petern
Tarzan, who weights 688 N, swings from a cliff at the end of a convenient vine that is 18 m long. From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing, he descends 3.2 m.

How much work is done by the rope during Tarzan's swing?
You would probably use the equation U = mgh and k = 1/2mv^2 so maybe W = u + k.

What's the tension in the rope when he reaches the bottom of his swing assuming he started from rest. Answer Ft = 932.62 N.

Can someone get me started, I have no clue what to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your second question, consider his motion as part of circular motion aka he is experiencing centripetal acceleration at the lowest point.

For your first question, the force exerted by the rope is always perpendicular to the direction of Tarzan's motion. What does this tell you about the amount of work it does on him?

cryptoguy said:
For your second question, consider his motion as part of circular motion aka he is experiencing centripetal acceleration at the lowest point.

trying...

Last edited:
petern said:
Oh that works but can you explain why I had to go through that entire process for this problem:

A 35 kg school child climbs a 4.5 meter high spiral slide. If the child reaches a speed of 3.3 m/s at the bottom of the slide, how much work was done by friction?

I tried your method on this problem and it didn't work because the equation is suppose to be W = mgh -1/2mv^2.

The tension in the rope has balance Tarzan's weight AND provide the force to produce the centripetal acceleration. BTW that formula is wrong, mgh isn't a force.

Last edited:
Dick said:
For your first question, the force exerted by the rope is always perpendicular to the direction of Tarzan's motion. What does this tell you about the amount of work it does on him?

Would that make it the tension force then? Also it asked for the work done by rope, is that the same as work done onto him?

Thanks for the help because I managed to figure our the second question.

A force does work on a body only if it has a component that points along the direction of motion of a body, right?

So I'm guessing it's just Tarzan's weight then since it can't be the force to produce the centripetal acceleration?

Last edited:
petern said:
So I'm guessing it's just Tarzan's weight then since it can't be the force to produce the centripetal acceleration?

That's confusing. There are two forces in the problem, Tarzan's weight and the tension in the rope. Only one does work on Tarzan. Which one?

Dick said:
That's confusing. There are two forces in the problem, Tarzan's weight and the tension in the rope. Only one does work on Tarzan. Which one?

I think it's the tension then.

Wrong. Get your book out and look up how to find out how much work a force does on an object. This is often written as F.ds (dot product) or F*ds*cos(theta) where theta is the angle between the direction of displacement of the object and direction of the force. theta in this case is 90 degrees for the rope. The tension does no work.

Ok then, I would use the equation W = Fxcos(theta).

F = 688 N, x = 3.2 m

W = 2201.6 N

Is that right now?

petern said:
Ok then, I would use the equation W = Fxcos(theta).

F = 688 N, x = 3.2 m

W = 2201.6 N

Is that right now?

If you mean the work done by gravity, yes. Which is NOT the work done by the rope. Except the units of work are joules.

I'm confused... Do I calculate using the centripetal acceleration instead of gravity then?

petern said:
I'm confused... Do I calculate using the centripetal acceleration instead of gravity then?

I'm confused as well. Is this still the first question? If so, I've been trying to hint (not very subtly) that the work done by the rope on Tarzan is ZERO. Big fat zero. The force it exerts on him is perpendicular to his direction of motion. In the formula W=F*ds*cos(theta), theta=90 degrees. cos(90 degrees)=0.

What is it you want to calculate? The work done by the rope is 0. The work done by gravity is what you calculated. The work done by centripetal force is also 0 because it's always perpendicular the displacement of Tarzan.

cryptoguy said:
What is it you want to calculate? The work done by the rope is 0. The work done by gravity is what you calculated. The work done by centripetal force is also 0 because it's always perpendicular the displacement of Tarzan.

Work done by the rope. So that means that Earth's gravity doesn't do any work on a satellite?

petern said:
Oh ok, I knew cos(90 degress) is 0 but I forgot tot he change the mode to degrees on my graphing calculator so it would end up with a weird answer. Thanks for the help. So that means that Earth's gravity doesn't do any work on a satellite?

If the satellite is in a circular orbit, no. Because it's kinetic energy doesn't change. If the orbit is not circular, then gravity does work on it while it approaches the Earth (increasing kinetic energy) and negative work on it while it recedes (decreasing kinetic energy).

1. How do you find the tension in a rope?

To find the tension in a rope, you can use the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object attached to the rope, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. You can also use a force sensor or a spring scale to directly measure the tension in the rope.

2. Why is it important to find the tension in a rope?

Knowing the tension in a rope is important because it helps determine if the rope can safely support the weight of an object or if it is at risk of breaking. It can also be used to calculate the force being applied to the rope and ensure that it is within the safe working load limit.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by the weight of the object attached to the rope, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and the acceleration of the object. Other factors that can affect tension include the length and thickness of the rope, the material it is made of, and any external forces acting on the rope.

4. How do you measure the tension in a rope using a force sensor?

To measure the tension in a rope using a force sensor, first attach the sensor to the rope and then pull on the other end of the rope with a constant force. The sensor will record the amount of force being applied to the rope, which is equal to the tension in the rope.

5. Can the tension in a rope be greater than the weight of the object attached to it?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be greater than the weight of the object attached to it. This can happen when the rope is being pulled at an angle or when the object is accelerating. In these cases, the tension will be equal to the weight of the object plus any additional force required to maintain the motion of the object.