Griffiths QM 1st vs 2nd editions

In summary, the second edition of Griffiths's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" features a completely rewritten third chapter that focuses on the formalism of quantum mechanics and streamlines the treatment for easier comprehension. The book also includes new problems and examples, introduces students to computer-based material, and has minor changes in later chapters. The publisher's website also mentions that the second edition is slightly longer but cleaner and more accessible.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have the first edition of Griffiths's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" and am considering using it (or rather the second edition) for a junior/senior level undergraduate course next spring. What makes the second edition different? I should just get a copy, I know, but I'll probably have to buy it myself. The class is going to be so small that I doubt the publisher would want to give me a freebie.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the second edition, but not the first. The preface in the second edition talks about the differences between the editions, but I don't have my book at home.

The publisher's website states that differences include

"Completely rewritten chapter on the formalism of quantum mechanics — Chapter 3.

Streamlines the treatment for more effective instructor presentation and student comprehension.

Many added problems and worked examples.

Introduces students to computer-based material using Mathematica.

75 new problems and 12 new worked examples."

From the preface to the second edition:

David J. Griffiths said:
In preparing the second edition I have tried to retain as much as possible the spirit of the first. The only wholesale change is Chapter 3, which was much too long and diverting; it has been completely rewritten, with the background material on finite-dimensional vector spaces (a subject with which most students at this level are already comfortable) relegated to the Appendix. I have added some examples in Chapter 2 (and fixed the awkward definition of raising and lowering operators fro the harmonic oscillator). In later chapters I have made as few changes as I could, even preserving the numbering of problems and equations, where possible. The treatment is streamlined in places (a better introduction to angular momentum in Chapter 4, for instance, a simpler proof of the adiabatic theorem in Chapter 10, and a new section on partial wave phase shifts in Chapter 11). Inevitably, the second edition is a bit longer than the first, which I regret, but I hope it is cleaner and more accessible.

I think they shortened the 3rd chapter on linear algebra by a bit.

1. What are the main differences between the 1st and 2nd editions of Griffiths QM?

The main difference between the two editions is the inclusion of new material in the 2nd edition. This includes new chapters on scattering theory, entanglement, and quantum computation. Additionally, the 2nd edition has updated examples and exercises.

2. Which edition is more suitable for self-study?

The 2nd edition is generally considered more suitable for self-study due to the additional material and updated examples and exercises. However, both editions can be used for self-study.

3. Are the exercises and examples different in the two editions?

Yes, the exercises and examples are different in the two editions. The 2nd edition has updated and additional exercises and examples compared to the 1st edition.

4. Is the 2nd edition more difficult to understand than the 1st edition?

The 2nd edition may be more challenging for some readers due to the added material. However, the overall difficulty level is similar to the 1st edition.

5. Can the 1st and 2nd editions be used interchangeably for teaching purposes?

Yes, the two editions can be used interchangeably for teaching purposes. However, instructors should be aware of the differences in material and adjust accordingly.