What's so special about Cu, Ag, and Au? fermi level? band gap?

In summary, the metals Cu, Ag, and Au have unique properties due to their d electrons not being tightly bound to the atom. This results in a broad s band and a narrow d band, which overlap and hybridize, causing the Fermi surface to be open. These metals also have the highest electrical conductivities at room temperature, with Ag having the highest, followed by Cu and then Au.
iLIKEstuff
i know this is a simple question, but i have been looking for a while (maybe 15 min) and i cannot find what is so special about Cu, Ag, and Au? i know there is something special about these 3 metals. something that none of the other metals have. i remember it having to do with fermi velocity / femi levels and conduction bands but i have completely forgotten and cannot find it.

thanks guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the notes for my solid state course: The d electrons in those three metals are not tightly bound to the atom, so they can't be treated as core electrons. "Six bands are required to accommodate the eleven additional electrons. We expect to find a broad s band and a narrow d band, and these bands overlap and hybridize ... The result of the hybridization is to lower the energy of the s band near the L point in the Brillouin Zone. This has an important effect on the Fermi surface topology, which now 'necks out' to touch the edge of the Brillouin zone." This means the Fermi surface is open.

They have the highest electrical conductivities at room temperature of any materials, in this order: Ag, Cu, Au

What is the significance of Cu, Ag, and Au in science?

Cu, Ag, and Au are three elements known as "coinage metals" due to their historical use in currency, jewelry, and other valuable items. They are also highly conductive and have unique chemical properties, making them important elements in various scientific fields such as electronics, catalysis, and medicine.

What makes Cu, Ag, and Au special compared to other elements?

Cu, Ag, and Au have unique properties such as high electrical and thermal conductivity, resistance to corrosion, and malleability. They also have special optical properties, with Ag being the most reflective metal and Au having a distinct golden color. These properties make them stand out from other elements and have various practical applications.

What is the Fermi level and why is it important in materials science?

The Fermi level is a concept in materials science that represents the highest energy level occupied by an electron at absolute zero temperature. It is crucial in understanding the electronic properties of materials, such as their conductivity and band structure. The position of the Fermi level also determines whether a material is a conductor, insulator, or semiconductor.

What is the band gap and why is it significant in materials science?

The band gap is the energy difference between the top of the valence band and the bottom of the conduction band in a material. It determines the material's ability to conduct electricity and absorb or emit light. Materials with a small band gap are good conductors, while those with a large band gap are insulators. The band gap is an essential factor in designing materials for specific electronic and optical applications.

How do the properties of Cu, Ag, and Au relate to their Fermi level and band gap?

Cu, Ag, and Au have similar electronic structures, with relatively low band gaps and high Fermi levels. This is due to their partially filled d-orbitals, which contribute to their high electrical conductivity. The unique properties of these elements are a result of their electronic structure, and understanding their Fermi level and band gap is crucial in designing and utilizing their properties in various applications.