Meterials with high heat resistance

In summary: Carbon fiber, graphite, and other materials are used in this way.Just for the record: I have never meant bare carbon can be used.
turnip
Is there necessarily a relation between the specific heat capacity of a material and its melting point? Can you have a material that has a low specific heat capacity but have a high melting point?

The reason I ask this is because I want to make a cooker of sorts, but don’t know what to make it out of.

Something that I can heat up, with a lowish specific heat capacity, that can resist melting below 2000 degrees celsius (approximately).

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You'd expect the specific heat capacity to increase with temperature, since the molar heat capacity of metals is similar (~25 J/mol-K) and denser elements generally have a higher melting temperature.

Only a handful of elements are still solid at 2000°C. Tungsten seems to be a good choice.

What about carbon?

Try hafnium carbide or yttrium-stabilized zirconia.

Last edited:
thank you for your replys and suggestions!

Borek: I had considered carbon, but wouldn't it react with the atmsophere and desintigrate rather quickly?

Chemisttree and Mapes: would these compounds be easy enough to get hold of in a reasonable size?

turnip said:
I had considered carbon, but wouldn't it react with the atmsophere and desintigrate rather quickly?

Yes and no. Carbon fibers are used in many applications, including those high temp ones.

Borek said:
Yes and no. Carbon fibers are used in many applications, including those high temp ones.

Okay, thanks!

If you try to use carbon fiber it will catch on fire and burn up the first time you use it. Carbon is NOT used in atmospheric high temperature applications without cladding. The RCC (Reinforced Carbon-carbon Composite) used on the shuttle tiles is clad in silicon carbide for example to prevent burnup during reentry.

Yttrium-stabilized zircon can be found http://www.americanelements.com/ysz.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
Carbon is NOT used in atmospheric high temperature applications without cladding.

Just for the record: I have never meant bare carbon can be used.

1. What are materials with high heat resistance?

Materials with high heat resistance are substances that are able to withstand extreme temperatures without significantly altering their properties. These materials are often used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and metallurgy.

2. What are some examples of materials with high heat resistance?

Some common examples of materials with high heat resistance include ceramics, metals like titanium and tungsten, and polymers like polyimide and PTFE (Teflon). Other materials such as carbon composites and refractory metals also have high heat resistance.

3. How are materials with high heat resistance tested?

Materials with high heat resistance are typically tested through thermal analysis techniques such as differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA). These tests measure the changes in a material's physical and chemical properties as it is subjected to different temperatures.

4. What are the benefits of using materials with high heat resistance?

Using materials with high heat resistance can offer numerous benefits, including improved safety, increased durability, and enhanced performance in high temperature environments. These materials can also help reduce maintenance and replacement costs in industries where extreme heat is a factor.

5. Are there any limitations to using materials with high heat resistance?

While materials with high heat resistance have many advantages, they also have some limitations. For example, some materials may be expensive or difficult to manufacture, and they may have lower strength or flexibility compared to other materials. Additionally, not all materials with high heat resistance are suitable for all applications, so it's important to carefully consider the specific requirements and conditions before selecting a material.