LM317 LDO pin compat replacement for CC op?

• Thread starter Pro289
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin
In summary: The LM1086 is a 3-terminal adjustable regulator. Many years ago I had a similar problem, and I realized that the mfgr was probably using a NPN pass transistor which requires another transistor (probably a PNP common emitter) to pull the base up, as well as having the base-emitter voltage drop in the pass transistor. I designed a discrete regulator circuit with a PNP pass transistor, thus being able to pull the base down, and eliminating the base emitter drop because the output is the collector and the DC input is the emitter.
Pro289
Hi. I use an LM317 in constant current mode to vary the current from ~20ma to ~400ma, the voltage use is about 3 to 5. I just don't like that there's a 3 volt drop out for the 317 design.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any pin compatible replacements with a lower drop out? I wouldn't mind if I had to pay 1 or 2 $ each.

I'm trying the LM1086, but I have not done extensive tests to see the benefits yet. They're supposed to have a lower drop. I like the specs of the LM2941, but they don't seem to make them in TO-220 3-pin. The pin distance needs to be the same as the 317 (~2.54mm hole pattern) and preferably a drop in replacement.

Also, I'm not sure how the drop out is calculated for the voltage regulators used in constant current mode. Do you have to account for the 1.25 reference voltage used plus the rated drop out? For example, a chip rated at 1 volt drop out in CC mode. Would the drop out be 2.25 for the whole design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The LM317 is a 3-terminal adjustable regulator. Many years ago I had a similar problem, and I realized that the mfgr was probably using a NPN pass transistor which requires another transistor (probably a PNP common emitter) to pull the base up, as well as having the base-emitter voltage drop in the pass transistor. I designed a discrete regulator circuit with a PNP pass transistor, thus being able to pull the base down, and eliminating the base emitter drop because the output is the collector and the DC input is the emitter..

berkeman said:
TI has a variable LDO:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tps73401.html

But it looks like it only comes in SMT packages. Can you make little adapter boardlets (like "Surf Boards") to get you to the LM317 pinout?

A "surf board" does sound nice. But way too much labor involved for what I'm looking for, as I deal with hundreds of LM317s. Has anyone done tests on the LM1086 or something similar?

1. What is an LM317 LDO?

The LM317 is a linear voltage regulator IC designed to provide a constant output voltage for a wide range of input voltages. LDO stands for "low-dropout", meaning that the regulator can maintain a stable output voltage even when the input voltage is only slightly higher than the desired output voltage.

2. What is the purpose of the CC op pin in an LM317 LDO?

The CC op pin on an LM317 LDO is used to set the output current limit for the regulator. This allows the user to protect their circuit from excessive current draw and potential damage.

3. Can an LM317 LDO be used as a replacement for a CC op?

Yes, the LM317 LDO can be used as a replacement for a CC op in some cases. However, it is important to carefully check the specifications and pin compatibility of both components before making the substitution.

4. What are some common applications for an LM317 LDO?

The LM317 LDO is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable voltage for sensitive components such as microcontrollers, sensors, and audio amplifiers. It is also often used in power supply circuits to regulate the output voltage.

5. What are some potential issues to consider when using an LM317 LDO?

One potential issue to consider when using an LM317 LDO is the power dissipation. The LM317 LDO operates by dropping excess voltage across a series pass transistor, which can generate a significant amount of heat. It is important to ensure that the regulator is properly heatsinked and that the input voltage is not too high, to avoid overheating and potential failure.