Solving Bending & Stress Homework: Railway Bridge of 80ft Span

In summary: You can find I by using the following equation:I = M/Awhere M is the weight of the girder, in tons, and A is the cross-sectional area of the girder, in square feet. The girder flange area is A/2, so the girder bending stress is:S = (M/A)*(I/2) = (M/A)*(I/4) = (M/A)*0.8 = 32 tons
Altairs

Homework Statement

A railway bridge of 80ft span with two tracks is supported by two main steel girders of I-section. The girders are 7ft deep between the centers of the flanges. If the dead weight of the structure between the abutments is 200 tons and the weight of each train of carriages is 1.5 tonf/ft, what must be the effective girder flange area at the centre of the span? The mean stress allowable in the flanges is 7tonf/in^2 and the resistance of the web to bending may be neglected.

Homework Equations

I understand the I need to use f/y = M/I and relevant equation for finding second moment of are and bending moment etc

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem here with me is that I can't get to understand the question properly. To much stupid explanation. Its all ambiguous. Like how are the tracks supported by beams ? Are beams in the same direction as the tracks or are the perpendicular ? And isn't the area supposed to be constant throughout th girder ? What is meant by this "what must be the effective girder flange area at the centre of the span" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Altairs said:

Homework Statement

A railway bridge of 80ft span with two tracks is supported by two main steel girders of I-section. The girders are 7ft deep between the centers of the flanges. If the dead weight of the structure between the abutments is 200 tons and the weight of each train of carriages is 1.5 tonf/ft, what must be the effective girder flange area at the centre of the span? The mean stress allowable in the flanges is 7tonf/in^2 and the resistance of the web to bending may be neglected.

Homework Equations

I understand the I need to use f/y = M/I and relevant equation for finding second moment of are and bending moment etc

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem here with me is that I can't get to understand the question properly. To much stupid explanation. Its all ambiguous. Like how are the tracks supported by beams ? Are beams in the same direction as the tracks or are the perpendicular ? And isn't the area supposed to be constant throughout th girder ? What is meant by this "what must be the effective girder flange area at the centre of the span" ?
I agree the problem should have been worded more clearly. It appears that there are 2 main girders (I beams) that run parallel to the tracks, one running along one side of the near track, and the other along the side of the far track. The tracks are supported on 'beams' that run perpendicular to the tracks, which frame into the main girders. You are not concerned about these 'beams', only the main girders that support them. So assume each girder takes half the structure dead load and half the train live load. That is, each is subject to a uniformly distributed live load of 1.5tons/ft, plus a uniformly distributed dead load of 100/80 = 1.25 tons/ft. Max moment occurs at the center of the span; theoretically, the girder could be of diffferent cross section towards the ends.

Last edited:
Altairs: You must assume both trains are longer than the railway bridge. The girders are parallel to the rail tracks. You are asked to compute the girder bending stress only at the girder midspan. To compute bending stress, you must compute second moment of area, I, of the girder (I-beam) flanges.

1. How do you calculate the maximum stress in a railway bridge of 80ft span?

The maximum stress in a railway bridge can be calculated using the formula σ = Mc/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia.

2. What factors affect the bending and stress in a railway bridge?

The bending and stress in a railway bridge can be affected by several factors such as the weight and load of the trains passing over the bridge, the material and design of the bridge, and external weather conditions.

3. How do you determine the bending moment in a railway bridge?

The bending moment in a railway bridge can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the bridge, including the weight of the bridge, the weight of the trains, and any external forces such as wind or earthquakes. This analysis can be done using mathematical equations or computer simulations.

4. What is the purpose of solving bending and stress homework for a railway bridge?

Solving bending and stress homework for a railway bridge is important for ensuring the safety and structural integrity of the bridge. By calculating and analyzing the bending and stress, engineers can make necessary design changes to prevent failure and ensure the bridge can withstand the expected loads and forces.

5. What are some common methods used to reduce bending and stress in railway bridges?

Some common methods used to reduce bending and stress in railway bridges include using stronger and more durable materials, increasing the bridge's width or depth, and adding support structures such as trusses or arches. Regular maintenance and inspections are also crucial for identifying and addressing any potential issues that may lead to increased bending and stress.