What Does Distinguished Really Mean in Technical and Legal Contexts?

• Thread starter LAncienne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, "distinguished" is being used in a unique or specially selected way by the author, deviating from its usual dictionary definitions. It may be interpreted as "distinguishable from other such", "defining", or "characterizing".
LAncienne
Terminology; "distinguished"

I've always thought that understanding at a profound level requires real precision in the use of language. I was recently reading Julian Barbour's book, The End of Time where he regularly uses the word distinguished as an adjective, as in "distinguished frames of reference", "...in space time as distinguished features.", "distinguished coordinate systems", "distinguished systems" "distinguished simplifier" etc.

I thought that these usages might be idiosyncratic on his part, but later, I found them elsewhere as well. Whatever is meant, these usages stray pretty far from the usual dictionary definitions, such as a) the past tense of the verb "distinguished" or b) the adjective (applied to people or institutions) of "worthy of admiration because of exemplary accomplishment".

I think the meaning here is probablyspecially selected or perhaps unique but I'd like to ask whether there is any more meaning than that, simply to understand with more precision what is intended?

The term has its own meaning in law, also fairly far from the dictionary meanings.

Physics news on Phys.org
LAncienne said:
I think the meaning here is probablyspecially selected or perhaps unique but I'd like to ask whether there is any more meaning than that, simply to understand with more precision what is intended?
Seems to me you are overthinking it. I believe it is being used simply in the sense of "distinguishable from other such"

1. What is the definition of "terminology"?

Terminology refers to the set of terms and vocabulary used in a particular subject or field of study. It includes the specialized language and terminology that are unique to a specific discipline.

2. How is terminology distinguished from other types of vocabulary?

Terminology is distinguished from other types of vocabulary by its specificity and precision. It is designed to be used within a specific field or subject and may not be commonly understood by those outside of that field.

3. Can terminology change over time?

Yes, terminology can change over time as new discoveries are made and new concepts are introduced. This can lead to the development of new terms or the evolution of existing ones.

4. Why is it important to use correct terminology in scientific research?

Using correct terminology is important in scientific research because it promotes clear communication and understanding among scientists. It also helps to avoid confusion and ensures that research findings are accurately communicated and understood.

5. How can scientists ensure the proper use of terminology in their research?

Scientists can ensure the proper use of terminology in their research by staying up-to-date with current terminology within their field and consulting reputable sources for definitions and usage guidelines. It is also important for scientists to carefully define and explain any specialized terminology used in their research to ensure clarity and understanding.