Using Acceleration to Calculate Gravity

In summary, the professor is looking for an equation for g (the gravitational field) in terms of T, X1 and X2. The student attempted to simplify the equation, but made a mistake.
zx95
1. Two steel balls are suspended from electromagnets, and are released simultaneously when the electric current is shut off. They start at heights X1 and X2, with X2 being higher. When they hit the ground, they land T seconds apart. Find an equation for g (the gravitational field) in terms of T, X1 and X2
2. No further information was given.
3. I have about 8 pages of scratch paper and 5 hours of work trying to figure out what is probably something simple. I began by trying to figure out the acceleration from X1 to the ground:

0 = (1/2)at^2 + Vt + X1
-X1 = (1/2)at^2 - Vt
-X1 - Vt = (1/2)at^2
-2(X1+Vt)/t^2 = a

With this equation, I thought I'd be able to somehow figure out the velocity after the ball from X2 height falls from X2 to X1 and then plug that into my result above.

I tried many different things and none seem to match up with the answer my professor is looking for. A nudge in the right direction is all I'm looking for. After so much work, it's really frustrating to be at square 1 still. Thank you in advance for any light you can shed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zx95, welcome to PF.
Initial velocities of the steel balls are zero.
So xi = 1/2*g*t1^2. You can rewrite it as
sqrt(2x1/g) = t1.
Similarly find the expression for t2. Then find t2 - t1 which is equal to T.

rl.bhat said:
Hi zx95, welcome to PF.
Initial velocities of the steel balls are zero.
So xi = 1/2*g*t1^2. You can rewrite it as
sqrt(2x1/g) = t1.
Similarly find the expression for t2. Then find t2 - t1 which is equal to T.

Thank you for the quick response!

I took this information and came up with the following:

t1 = sqrt(2X1/g) t2 = sqrt(2X2/g)

T = t2 - t1
T = sqrt(2X2/g) - sqrt (2X1/g)
T = sqrt(2(X2-X1)/g)
sqrt(g) = sqrt(2(X2-X1))/T

g = 2(X2-X1)/T^2

I plugged this into the professors software (and looking back in my scratch paper this is the same answer I got through a much more difficult process). Is this answer correct, or am I missing some step that I'm not seeing?

T = sqrt(2(X2-X1)/g)

The simplification is wrong.
It should be
T = [ sqrt(2x2) - sqrt(2x1)]/sqrt(g). so
sqrt(g) = [ sqrt(2x2) - sqrt(2x1)]/T

rl.bhat said:
T = sqrt(2(X2-X1)/g)

The simplification is wrong.
It should be
T = [ sqrt(2x2) - sqrt(2x1)]/sqrt(g). so
sqrt(g) = [ sqrt(2x2) - sqrt(2x1)]/T

Thank you very much! I always make mistakes like that. I need to work on that. Thanks!

1. How is acceleration used to calculate gravity?

Acceleration is used to calculate gravity through the use of Newton's second law, which states that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration. By measuring the acceleration of an object in free fall, the force of gravity acting on that object can be calculated.

2. What is the formula for calculating gravity using acceleration?

The formula for calculating gravity using acceleration is F = ma, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is acceleration due to gravity measured?

Acceleration due to gravity can be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures the rate of change in velocity of an object. This can also be measured using a pendulum or by using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is the acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What is the standard value for acceleration due to gravity?

The standard value for acceleration due to gravity on Earth is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, this value can vary slightly depending on factors such as location and altitude.

5. How is acceleration due to gravity related to weight?

Acceleration due to gravity is directly related to weight, as weight is a force that is caused by the acceleration of gravity acting on an object. This can be seen in the formula F = ma, where F represents weight and m represents mass.