Exploring Closed Spaces: Negative Curvature and the Inside of a Torus

In summary: See the book Three-Dimensional Geometry and Topology by William P. Thurston, and the paper "The shape of space" by Jeffrey R. Weeks.In summary, while a negative curvature in cosmology lectures is often associated with an infinite space, there are cases, such as the inside of a torus, where a closed space can still exist. However, this is dependent on certain symmetries being relaxed and there are various possibilities for the global topology of the universe. The existence of a Big Crunch is not necessarily correlated with the spatial topology in models with nonzero cosmological constants.
taylrl3
In my cosmology lectures they say that a negative curvature gives an infinite space but I was thinking what about the inside of a torus. Isn't that a closed space too?

Cant any value of k apart from 0 result in a closed space??

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember in cosmology though, we assume a homogeneous and isotropic universe, which results in just tress types of spaces (flat, sphere, hyperboloid).

taylrl3 said:
In my cosmology lectures they say that a negative curvature gives an infinite space but I was thinking what about the inside of a torus. Isn't that a closed space too?

There are theorems called local to global theorems that constrain the global topology for a given curvature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemannian_geometry#Local_to_global_theorems These theorems are not so strong that they give a 100% correspondence between local and global properties.

As you've noted, a flat space can have various topologies, such as trivial, cylindrical, toroidal, Mobius... In the non-flat topologies, you get a preferred frame of reference, which is essentially the frame in which the circumference is maximized (as opposed to other frames which see the circumference as Lorentz-contracted).

There are various exotic possibilities for the global topology of the universe:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/18368
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0403597

One thing I didn't understand properly until recently was that in models with nonzero cosmological constants, the spatial topology is not necessarily correlated with the existence of a Big Crunch.

[EDIT] I don't pretend to understand the local to global theorems, and like the OP, I would be interested in hearing more about how this applies to spaces with nonvanishing curvature.

In the case of 2-dimensional space with a positive-definite metric, I do think I understand the possibilities to some extent. In the flat case, you have Euclidean geometry, which can have a variety of topologies (trivial, cylindrical, toroidal, Mobius). In the positive-curvature case, you get elliptic geometry, and all models of elliptic geometry are closed; that is, you can start from the axioms of elliptic geometry and prove results like an upper bound on the area of any triangle. I would be interested to know whether the negative-curvature case (hyperbolic geometry) admits any topology other than the usual one; I suspect that it doesn't.

Making the analogy with 3+1 dimensions, I would conjecture that you only get wiggle room on the spatial topology if the spatial curvature is zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
taylrl3 said:

It possible to have spacetimes that have closed (i.e., compact) spatial sections that don't have positive spatial curvature, but, as nicksauce has noted, some symmetry of the standard cosmological models has to be relaxed. Typically, (local) spatial homogeneity is retained. See articles by Luminet,

http://arxiv.org/abs/0802.2236
http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.3374

and Chapter 15, Spatially Homogeneous Universe Models, in the book Einstein's General Theory of Relativity With Modern Applications in Cosmology by Gron and Hervik.

A 3-dimensional torus (a compact quotient of Euclidean 3-space) can be used as a particular model of a (locally) homogeneous, closed universe that has flat spatial sections, and a compact quotient of 3-dimensional hyperbolic space can be used as a particular model of a (locally) homogeneous, closed universe that has spatial sections with negative curvature.

Last edited:

1. What is "K=-1 closed space"?

"K=-1 closed space" refers to a type of universe in which the value of the spatial curvature constant, denoted by K, is equal to -1. This type of universe is also known as a hyperbolic universe.

2. How does the value of K affect the shape of the universe?

The value of K determines the curvature of space in the universe. In a "K=-1 closed space", the curvature is negative, meaning that space is shaped like a saddle or a hyperboloid. This is in contrast to a "K=0 flat space" or a "K=1 closed space" where the curvature is zero or positive, respectively.

3. What implications does a "K=-1 closed space" have on the expansion of the universe?

A "K=-1 closed space" has important implications for the expansion of the universe. This type of universe is considered to be open, meaning that it will continue to expand forever. However, in a "K=-1 closed space", the rate of expansion is slower compared to a "K=0 flat space" or a "K=1 closed space".

4. Are there any observable differences between a "K=-1 closed space" and a "K=0 flat space"?

Yes, there are observable differences between these two types of universes. In a "K=-1 closed space", the shape of space is curved, while in a "K=0 flat space", space is flat. This can be observed through the measurement of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of matter in the universe.

5. How does a "K=-1 closed space" fit into the current understanding of the universe?

A "K=-1 closed space" is one of the possible solutions to the equations of general relativity that describe the universe. It is part of the current understanding of the universe and is used to explain the observed expansion and structure of the universe. However, it is important to note that the true nature of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.