How much current does the motor draw?

In summary, the starter motor in an automobile has a resistance of 0.37 Ω and operates on 12 V with a back emf of 10 V at normal operating speed. The current drawn at this speed is 5.4 A. When running at half its final rotational speed, the current drawn is 2.7 A. This can be calculated by dividing the back emf by the resistance.
Sarak

Homework Statement

The starter motor in an automobile has a resistance of 0.37 Ω in its armature windings. The motor operates on 12 V and has a back emf of 10 V when running at normal operating speed.
A)How much current does the motor draw at its operating speed?
B)How much current does the motor draw when running at half its final rotational speed?

Homework Equations

Eb=V-IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I found part A) to be 5.4 A. Our professor told of to divide this by two to get part B. Mastering Physics tells me that 2.7 A is a wrong answer. Is this a MP glitch or do I have the wrong info?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sarak said:

Homework Statement

The starter motor in an automobile has a resistance of 0.37 Ω in its armature windings. The motor operates on 12 V and has a back emf of 10 V when running at normal operating speed.
A)How much current does the motor draw at its operating speed?
B)How much current does the motor draw when running at half its final rotational speed?

Homework Equations

Eb=V-IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I found part A) to be 5.4 A. Our professor told of to divide this by two to get part B. Mastering Physics tells me that 2.7 A is a wrong answer. Is this a MP glitch or do I have the wrong info?
Oops, never mind. He meant take half of the back emf, not half the current.

1. What is the definition of current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in amperes (A).

2. How is current related to the motor?

The motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in order to function, it requires a flow of current to power the electromagnets inside the motor.

3. How can I measure the current drawn by a motor?

The current drawn by a motor can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is placed in series with the motor circuit to measure the flow of current through the circuit.

4. What factors affect the amount of current drawn by a motor?

The amount of current drawn by a motor is affected by the voltage applied to the motor, the resistance of the motor windings, and the amount of mechanical load on the motor.

5. What are the potential hazards of drawing too much current through a motor?

If too much current is drawn through a motor, it can overheat and potentially cause damage to the motor or surrounding equipment. It can also result in a higher energy cost and may trip circuit breakers or blow fuses.