What is the Torque Produced by a Beam and Sign on a Wall?

• Thread starter _wolfgang_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign Wall
In summary, the question asks for the calculation of torque produced by a 2kg horizontal beam bolted to a wall and supporting a 5kg sign. Using the wall as the pivot point, the distance to the center of mass of the beam is 0.25m. The torque of the beam is 4.9Nm and the torque of the sign is 24.5Nm, resulting in a total torque of 29.4Nm. However, there may be an error in the book as it states the answer as 118Nm.
_wolfgang_

Homework Statement

a uniform 2kg horizontal beam is 50cm long is bolted to a wall and supports a 5kg sign. calculate the tourqe produced by the combined weight of the beam and the sign about where it is mounted to the wall.

Homework Equations

tourqe = F x Perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am using the wall as the pivot point making the distance to the centre of mass of the beam 0.25m.

the tourqe of the beam= (9.8x2)x(0.25)
= 4.9Nm

The tourqe of the sign= (9.8x5)x(0.5)
=24.5Nm

And to get the total tourqe i have added these togther to get 29.4Nm

But my course book says the answer is 118Nm?? i know this is a pretty simple question but i can't pick up my error :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
looks like a book error, if you described the problem correctly.

the only thing i changed from the book is that it says a light rather than a sign.. but i think it may be a book error to. This book has many errors

Well, one error is that it is a torque :biggrin:

you never know the book might spell it that way to?!??

What is the torque of a sign on the wall?

The torque of a sign on the wall refers to the measure of the turning or twisting force that is applied to the sign due to the gravitational pull acting on it.

How is the torque of a sign on the wall calculated?

The torque of a sign on the wall is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity acting on the sign by the distance from the point of rotation to the center of mass of the sign.

What factors affect the torque of a sign on the wall?

The torque of a sign on the wall is affected by the weight of the sign, the distance from the point of rotation to the center of mass, and the angle at which the sign is attached to the wall.

Why is understanding the torque of a sign on the wall important?

Understanding the torque of a sign on the wall is important in order to properly secure the sign and prevent it from falling or causing damage. It is also important in engineering and construction, as torque plays a crucial role in the stability and strength of structures.

How can the torque of a sign on the wall be increased or decreased?

The torque of a sign on the wall can be increased by increasing the weight of the sign or by increasing the distance from the point of rotation to the center of mass. It can be decreased by decreasing the weight or distance, or by changing the angle at which the sign is attached to the wall.