Calculating Total Charge in an Ideal Circuit Element | Circuit Analysis Homework

In summary, the current at the terminals of the element in an ideal basic circuit element is 0.004 e-5000t. The total charge (in microcoulombs) entering the element at its upper terminal is 4000.
kaiser0792

Homework Statement

The current at the terminals of the element in an ideal basic circuit element is
i = 0, t < 0;

i = 20e(-5000t) A, t [tex]\leq[/tex] 0

Calculate the total charge ( in microcoulombs) entering the element at its upper terminal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just starting a Circuit Analysis course next week and I'm looking ahead in the text, trying to hit the ground running. There are no sample problems that even give me a starting place??

Physics news on Phys.org
Current can be expressed at the rate of flow of charge, so that i =dQ/dt.

So you can integrate over time and get the total charge. Though why it time t < 0?

I suppose that is just a way of saying that there was no current flowing before the reference time, t = 0.

I tried integrating and came up with -0.04e-5000t + C coulombs.

Answer is supposed to be 4000 microcoulombs. My integration is a little rusty. Help?

kaiser0792 said:
I tried integrating and came up with -0.04e-5000t + C coulombs.

Answer is supposed to be 4000 microcoulombs. My integration is a little rusty. Help?

The -0.04 should be 0.004, but remember your time is t≥0. So you are really integrating from 0 to ∞ so you need to compute

[tex]\left[ -0.004e^{-5000t} \right]_0 ^{\infty}[/tex]

Thanks for the help, I knew the Integral to be solved and the limits of integration, what I was missing was the negative exponent of e. You helped me, thank you.

rock.freak667 said:
The -0.04 should be 0.004, but remember your time is t≥0. So you are really integrating from 0 to ∞ so you need to compute

[tex]\left[ -0.004e^{-5000t} \right]_0 ^{\infty}[/tex]

Thanks rock.freak, I was overlooking the negative exponent of "e" when I was integrating.
You helped me, thanks. Sometimes you just need to bounce it off someone else.

What is total charge and why is it important?

Total charge is the measure of the electric charge within a system or object. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrically charged particles and how they interact with each other.

How do you calculate total charge?

Total charge is calculated by adding up all the individual charges within a system. If the charges are positive, they are added together. If the charges are negative, they are subtracted from the total. The unit of measurement for total charge is Coulombs (C).

What is the formula for calculating total charge?

The formula for calculating total charge is Q = n * e, where Q is the total charge, n is the number of charged particles, and e is the elementary charge (1.602 x 10^-19 C).

Can total charge be negative?

Yes, total charge can be negative if there are more negative charges than positive charges in a system. This indicates an excess of electrons, which results in a negative net charge.

How is total charge related to electric current?

Total charge is directly related to electric current, as current is the rate at which charge flows through a conductor. The higher the total charge, the greater the electric current will be.