History of Mathematics book

In summary, there are two highly recommended books for learning about the development of mathematics and the mathematicians involved. Men of Mathematics by E.T. Bell is considered an authoritative source and is praised for its engaging writing style. Another option is Mathematics and Its History by Stillwell, which includes more mathematical content than other history books. Both books cover the development of Algebra and Differential Geometry in detail.
ForMyThunder
I was wanting to learn about the development of mathematics and the mathematicians who helped with it. I was wondering if anyone knew of any book that was particularly well written and included a lot of information. Also, if it could go into detail about the mathematicians responsible for the development of Algebra and Differential Geometry, in particular, that would be a huge help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Men of Mathematics by E.T. Bell (2 volumes). I think these are the most authoritative and most oft quoted history-of-math books. They are awesome reads as well :D

I like Stillwell's "Mathematics and Its History" as it has more mathematics in it than other math history books I've encountered.

1. What is the purpose of studying the history of mathematics?

Studying the history of mathematics allows us to understand how mathematical concepts and ideas have developed over time. It also provides insight into the cultural, social, and scientific contexts in which these developments occurred.

2. Who were some of the most influential mathematicians in history?

Some of the most influential mathematicians in history include Pythagoras, Euclid, Archimedes, Isaac Newton, and Albert Einstein. Each of these individuals made significant contributions to the field of mathematics and their work continues to influence modern mathematics.

3. What are some major milestones in the history of mathematics?

Some major milestones in the history of mathematics include the development of the number system, the discovery of geometry by the Ancient Greeks, the invention of calculus by Newton and Leibniz, and the development of modern algebra and mathematical logic in the 19th and 20th centuries.

4. How has mathematics evolved over time?

Mathematics has evolved in many ways over time, with new concepts and techniques being developed by mathematicians from different cultures and time periods. For example, the concept of zero was introduced by Indian mathematicians in the 5th century, and the use of complex numbers was developed by Renaissance mathematicians in the 16th century.

5. How does the history of mathematics connect to other fields of study?

The history of mathematics is closely connected to many other fields of study, including physics, engineering, and philosophy. Many mathematical concepts have practical applications in these fields, and studying the history of mathematics can provide insights into their development and use.