Web-Based LaTeX, Maxima, and R Software

In summary, the site will have a web interface to Maxima and R, security concerns were taken into account, and the site will also offer a limited set of services comparable to Wolfram's Integrator.
pmagunia
I am designing web software to interface to [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], Maxima and R.

What I wanted to get feedback about is:

1) Security issues which may arise from calling Maxima and R from the web. The interface is going to be a AJAX GUI and not a raw command-line input form so I will be able to filter malicious code. For the Maxima interface, I am disabling characters like the semi-colon and dollar-sign that may jeopardize the system and also heavily filter incoming data. It is a GUI so I can prevent unwanted commands from being executed.

2) The viability of keeping this a free site without any ads. I wanted to be able to cover the hosting cost involved with voluntary donations. I know Sage Notebook already exists but it doesn't have a GUI which I was planning to design. With the R version of the site users should be able to upload datasets to operate on. I am going to accomplish this with FileField in Drupal. I don't know many site that offer this kind of service so it is something unique I can provide.

The site already has some operational features:

1)Creating LaTeX images using a Javascript toolbar.

2)Allow users to Chat in a LaTeX based environment with capabilities to exchange graphs and sketches.

I wanted to post the url so that people could take a look and give feedback and comments, but wanted to get the OK since this may seem to violate advertising guidelines posted in the rules. The site is registered as a '.com', but I also own the '.net' version of the domain which points to the same place.

Any kind of feedback and direction is very much appreciated.

P. Magunia

Physics news on Phys.org
After some backroom discussion Mentors tasked me with posting links to the site:

http://sharpermath.com/content/latex-image-generator"

http://sharpermath.com/chat"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting the links Borek.

I wanted to mention something else notable. I've made progress with the web-based Maxima interface I mentioned in my earlier post.

Maxima is computer algebra system capable of computing floating points to arbitrary position and much more.

The interface I have designed allows computation of limits, derivatives, integrals and more. The default example I have is the the limit to compute [tex]e^x[/tex]. The Maxima output is Tex friendly and mimetex automatically renders the image to GIF.

If you wanted to compute [tex]2^{1000}[/tex] that is possible. Computations are not limited to Calculus.

Allowing public use of Maxima on a web server is a security concern, I know. Special characters and the semi-colon are not allowed. Users are also limited to 3 seconds of CPU time which I found to be plenty for even [tex]2^{100,000}[/tex] though I am not sure web addresses of that length are allowed by my web server. Insecure commands are also filtered out.

If nobody objects I would like to post the link here.

Last edited:
I am guessing nobody is objecting.

http://sharpermath.com/content/maxima-interface"

Also for calculations of limits the following page would be very useful. You can specifiy [tex]f(x)[/tex], [tex]c[/tex], the variable of interest, and the direction of the limit. Maxima constants used are 'inf' and 'minf'. The output is pure Tex.

http://sharpermath.com/content/maxima-limit-evaluate"

These services are comparable to Wolfram's Integrator. I hope the community finds them useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am impressed by your efforts to design web software that interfaces with \LaTeX, Maxima, and R. These are powerful and widely used tools in the scientific community, and having them accessible through a user-friendly web interface can greatly benefit researchers and students alike.

Regarding your concerns about security, it is important to be cautious when calling Maxima and R from the web. By filtering out potentially malicious code and preventing unwanted commands from being executed, you are taking necessary precautions to ensure the safety of your users' data and your system. It may also be helpful to regularly update your software and keep an eye out for any potential vulnerabilities that may arise.

In terms of keeping the site free without ads, it is certainly a noble goal to cover hosting costs through voluntary donations. However, it may be worth considering alternative options such as offering premium features for a fee or seeking funding from grants or sponsorships. Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to other sites or organizations that offer similar services and see how they sustain themselves financially.

I appreciate that your site already has some operational features, such as creating LaTeX images and allowing users to chat in a LaTeX environment. These are valuable tools for collaboration and sharing of scientific information.

As for posting the URL for feedback, it is always best to check with the rules and guidelines of the platform you are using. If it is not allowed, perhaps you can reach out to individuals or organizations in the scientific community and ask for their feedback and suggestions.

Overall, I commend your efforts to make \LaTeX, Maxima, and R more accessible through a web interface and I wish you success in your endeavors. Keep up the good work!

What is Web-Based LaTeX, Maxima, and R Software?

Web-Based LaTeX, Maxima, and R Software is a collection of online tools that allow users to create, edit, and compile documents using LaTeX language, perform symbolic mathematical calculations with Maxima, and conduct statistical analysis with R. These tools can be accessed through a web browser without the need for any additional software installation.

What are the benefits of using Web-Based LaTeX, Maxima, and R Software?

The main benefit of using these tools is the convenience and accessibility they provide. As they are web-based, users can access them from any device with an internet connection. This makes it easier to collaborate and work on projects remotely. Additionally, these tools are free to use and do not require any special software or programming skills.

How does Web-Based LaTeX, Maxima, and R Software compare to traditional software?

Web-Based LaTeX, Maxima, and R Software offer similar functionality to traditional software, but with the added benefit of being accessible online. This means that users do not have to worry about downloading and installing software, and can access their documents and projects from any device. However, some advanced features may be limited in the web-based versions compared to traditional software.

Can Web-Based LaTeX, Maxima, and R Software be used for collaborative projects?

Yes, these tools are ideal for collaborative projects as they allow multiple users to access and work on the same documents simultaneously. This makes it easier for teams to collaborate and share ideas, especially when working remotely. Additionally, these tools often have version control features that allow users to track changes and revert to previous versions if needed.

Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of LaTeX, Maxima, or R to use the web-based versions?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of these languages to use the web-based versions. These tools often have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to help beginners get started. However, having some understanding of these languages may be beneficial for more advanced usage and customization of documents and calculations.