Electricity and magnetism book (preferably with lots of examples)

In summary: E&M next semester.In summary, the book we are using is good at explaining concepts, but it does not have many questions per chapter. I would like to do more practice problems, but I am worried that if I purchase a book I will not be able to use it because I will be taking another course next semester.
Null_
I'm taking E&M next semester, and the book we use is quite good at explaining concepts, but it only has 9-12 questions per chapter. I would like to do more practice problems. We used the same book for modern mechanics (it is a two-edition set, the first is mech and the second is E&M).

Any suggestions? I got the second edition of the book I need for free from a friend, so I'm willing to spend the $120 I would have spend on this book on a book, provided it is good. I am taking Calc II next semester but will be studying Calc III material as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
there are many torrents with physics textbooks of every kind free of charge, great if your looking for just a few more examples

Thanks, Daverz. I will check it out from my school's library. My school's library has lots of books, so I can just check out books see if I like them enough to buy it.

Null, might that be Chabay and Sherwood?

A very comprehensive text that also has loads of problems Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. It is a graduate level text though...

What book are you using?

blacknovember said:
Null, might that be Chabay and Sherwood?

A very comprehensive text that also has loads of problems Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. It is a graduate level text though...

This is not a good recommendation AT ALL for someone at this level. There are only two types of problems in Jackson: 1) extremely difficult ones, 2) ones that waste your life which are extremely difficult.

@Disinterred
Oops, didn't read the question though. If graduate though, I recommend Jackson.

In my second year undergrad we used Griffiths. Thats a nice book.

Although in hindsight, probably won't help now

1. What are the main principles of electricity and magnetism?

The main principles of electricity and magnetism are based on the concept of electromagnetism, which describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. This includes the laws of electric charge, Coulomb's law, and Ampere's law. It also includes the principles of magnetic induction, Faraday's law, and Lenz's law.

2. How does electricity and magnetism affect our daily lives?

Electricity and magnetism play a crucial role in our daily lives, from powering our homes and devices to enabling communication and transportation. For example, the flow of electric current through wires powers our lights and appliances, while the use of magnetic fields in generators generates the electricity we use. Electromagnetic waves are also used in radios, televisions, and cell phones for communication.

3. Can you give some examples of everyday phenomena related to electricity and magnetism?

Some examples of everyday phenomena related to electricity and magnetism include the way a compass needle aligns with the Earth's magnetic field, how a refrigerator uses a magnetic compressor to cool its contents, and the static electricity that builds up on clothes when they are rubbed together.

4. What are some practical applications of electricity and magnetism?

There are countless practical applications of electricity and magnetism in various fields, including technology, medicine, and industry. Some examples include the use of electromagnets in motors and generators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in medical diagnosis, and electromagnetic induction in power plants for generating electricity.

5. What are some resources for learning more about electricity and magnetism?

There are many resources available for learning more about electricity and magnetism, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. Some recommended books include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell. Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free online courses on the subject.