Electromagnetic interactions & photon transfer

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and interpretation of electromagnetic interactions through photons, using the example of water jugs. It is questioned whether each electron in one jug exchanges photons with every other electron in both jugs, and whether this explanation can be applied to the entire universe. The concept of virtual photons and their role in perturbation theory is also brought up. The main question is whether this explanation is limited to simple examples or if it can explain the complex reality of interactions between all charged particles in the universe.
werunom
Hello.

One confusion regarding the explanation of electromagnetic [EM] interactions through photons.

Conisder the water jug example given in this wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction#Electromagnetism".
It says - "if we place two such jugs a meter apart, the electrons in one of the jugs repel those in the other jug..."

So with respect to this example, can I say that each electron in one jug does photon exchange with the each of the electrons in the same jug and in the other jug to have the repulsive EM interaction?

I have this confusion because =

1] This way of explaining the EM interaction gives an interpretation that a charged particle exchanges countless photons at any point.
Am I right? Or at least give the right picture please.

2] It is said that EM interaction is of infinite range. And if that is the case, an electron in one jug should be interacting with another charged particle in a distant star. And if that is the case, then every charged particle in this universe should be interacting with every other charged particle.
It may be that -
2.1) all these interactions may cancel out - push pull getting cancelled.
2.2) the interactions themselves may be weak.

Is my understanding correct?
Let me know if I have erred somewhere.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it that the notion of 'virtual photons' came into picture because of attempting to explain these interactions through pertubation theory?
And is that why this explanation of interactions through photons are just for simple examples and cannot accommodate for explaining the reality, i.e. an electron interacting with the rest of the charged particles in the universe?

Requesting someone to clarify this.

Thanks.

1. What is an electromagnetic interaction?

An electromagnetic interaction is a fundamental force that governs the behavior of electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between these particles and the formation of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How are electromagnetic interactions related to photon transfer?

Electromagnetic interactions involve the exchange of particles called photons between charged particles. These photons carry energy and momentum, allowing for the transfer of these properties between particles.

3. What is the role of electromagnetic interactions in the universe?

Electromagnetic interactions play a crucial role in many natural phenomena, including the behavior of atoms and molecules, the formation of chemical bonds, and the functioning of electronic devices. They also make up a significant portion of the energy that makes up the universe.

4. How do electromagnetic interactions impact our daily lives?

Electromagnetic interactions are essential for many technological advancements, such as electricity, magnetism, and communication technologies like radios and cell phones. They also play a role in medical imaging techniques like MRI and the functioning of our nervous system.

5. How do scientists study electromagnetic interactions and photon transfer?

Scientists use a variety of experimental and theoretical approaches to study electromagnetic interactions and photon transfer. These include particle accelerators, spectroscopy techniques, and mathematical models. They also use computer simulations to understand and predict the behavior of these interactions.