Material with low k-value that can be used for high-heat rods?

• Thread starter giant016
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a material that can withstand high heat for a vertical hotplate with two heating elements. The forum member is considering options such as zirconia, alumina, silicon carbide, molybdenum, tungsten, and ceramic coated stainless steel. They are looking for a material that can withstand temperatures up to 1600°C and preferably costs less than $50 per foot.
giant016
I am modifying a vertical hotplate that has two heating elements that clamp together. This is done by a jack screw and some rods that slide. The jack screw I'm not concerned about, but I'm looking for something that can resist heat better than the stainless steel rods we currently use. The sides of the hotplate currently get hotter than I'd like as it would be nice to be able to turn the hotplate over to use it as a horizontal as well, without having to remove the part.

I'm looking into zirconia, but do you guys have any better ideas? I'm getting quoted on the zirconia (guessing it's pricey), but if we could keep the cost below $50 a foot that would be nice. For reference we'd need it to be about a 1/4". Thanks for any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project with us. I understand your concerns about finding a material that can withstand high heat and also fit within your budget. I have a few suggestions that may be helpful in your search for a suitable material.

Firstly, have you considered using ceramic materials such as alumina or silicon carbide? These materials have excellent heat resistance and can withstand temperatures up to 1600°C and 2000°C respectively. They are also relatively affordable compared to zirconia.

Another option could be using molybdenum or tungsten rods. These metals have high melting points and can withstand temperatures up to 2600°C and 3400°C respectively. They are also relatively affordable and may be a good fit for your project.

Additionally, you could also look into using ceramic coated stainless steel rods. This coating can improve the heat resistance of the rods and may be a more cost-effective solution compared to using pure ceramic materials.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. It's always important to consider both the heat resistance and cost of materials when designing a project. Best of luck with your modifications.

1. What is a material with low k-value?

A material with low k-value refers to a substance that has a low thermal conductivity. This means that it is not a good conductor of heat and can be used to reduce the transfer of heat in certain applications.

2. What are the benefits of using a material with low k-value for high-heat rods?

Using a material with low k-value for high-heat rods can provide several benefits. It can help reduce the risk of overheating and melting in the rods, increase their durability and lifespan, and improve overall safety in high-heat environments.

3. What are some examples of materials with low k-value that can be used for high-heat rods?

Some common examples of materials with low k-value that are suitable for high-heat rods include ceramics, certain polymers, and aerogels. These materials have low thermal conductivities and can withstand high temperatures without degrading or melting.

4. How do you determine the k-value of a material?

The k-value of a material can be determined through various methods, such as thermal conductivity testing, which measures the rate at which heat passes through the material. Other factors such as the material's composition, density, and structure can also affect its k-value.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a material with low k-value for high-heat rods?

While using a material with low k-value can have many benefits, there are a few drawbacks to consider. These materials may be more expensive than traditional materials, and they may also have lower mechanical strength, making them more prone to breakage or damage. Additionally, certain low k-value materials may not be suitable for all high-heat rod applications.