Resultant of thirty vectors of a polygon

In summary, the problem involves determining the resultants of 30 vectors, each with a magnitude of 2N, represented by the sides of a regular polygon. The equation for the square of the resultant is R2 = Rx2 + Ry2, where Rx and Ry are the components on the X and Y axes respectively. This can be solved using the interior angle formula for a polygon and calculating the components on each axis using trigonometry. However, there may be alternative, easier methods to solve this problem.
sadaf2605
University Physics(12th ed) said:
Thirty vectors, each of magnitude 2N, are represented by the sides of a regular polygon taken in order. Determine their resultants.

equation, square of resultant, R2 = Rx2 + Ry2

interior angle of a polygon = (n-2)* 180°/n
= (30 - 2)* 180°/30
= 168°
components on X axis:
Ax1 = 20* cos 168°
Ax2 = 20* cos (168°+168°)
. . . .
Ax30 = 20* cos (168° * 30)

Rx = Ax1 + Ax2 + . . . +Ax30

components on Y axis:
Ay1 = 20* sin 168°
Ay2 = 20* sin (168°+168°)
. . . .
Ay30 = 20* sin (168° * 30)

Ry = Ay1 + Ay2 + . . . +Ay30

thn,
R2 = Rx2 + Ry2

i think we can solve this kind of problem this way, but this process is so lengthy so i am expecting some alternative easy and short way to solve such problems, anyone to help?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the problem.

If you add any number of vectors head-to-tail, and the head of the last one meets the tail of the first one, then the sum is always zero.

AC130Nav said:
I'm not sure I understand the problem.

If you add any number of vectors head-to-tail, and the head of the last one meets the tail of the first one, then the sum is always zero.

Thanks alot!

1. What is the meaning of "resultant" in the context of thirty vectors of a polygon?

The resultant of thirty vectors of a polygon refers to the single vector that represents the combined effect of all thirty vectors on the polygon.

2. How is the resultant of thirty vectors of a polygon calculated?

The resultant of thirty vectors of a polygon is calculated by finding the vector sum of all thirty vectors. This can be done by adding their x and y components together using basic vector addition.

3. What does the magnitude of the resultant represent?

The magnitude of the resultant represents the overall strength or intensity of the combined effect of the thirty vectors on the polygon. It is equal to the length of the resultant vector.

4. Can the resultant of thirty vectors of a polygon ever be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the resultant of thirty vectors of a polygon to be zero. This would occur if the vectors cancel each other out, meaning the combined effect of all thirty vectors is neutral.

5. How does the direction of the resultant relate to the direction of the thirty vectors?

The direction of the resultant is dependent on the direction of the thirty vectors. It will be in the same direction as the majority of the vectors, or in the opposite direction if the vectors cancel each other out.