Math textbook question,after pre algebra

In summary: There are many other examples like this. You are correct - algebra can mean many different things to different people. In fact, the name "algebra" is derived from the Arabic word "al-jabr," which means "the balance or rectification of a problem." This is because algebra is the mathematics of solving problems. In summary, if you are looking for a good textbook to start with, I suggest you try the Math courses from Lamar. They are very solid and will get you up to speed with modern algebra. If you need further help, you can try searching for "algebra" on Google, and checking out Purple
I dont know
I had to drop out of school for personal reasons,I am only trying to remember math,for fun.
So I have this pre algebra book(actually there is an intoduction to algebra at the end):
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/0131490575/
What book should I buy next?
also one that uses meters,kms and etc if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This might be a good next step:

31kkB4DAUHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I have a different suggestion. Perhaps you would like to try http://www.khanacademy.org/

You can do exercises and watch videos on many subjects within basic mathematics to even more advanced concepts.

If you just finished a pre-algebra text, the obvious next step is an Algebra I text. The usual sequence in high school is Algebra I, then geometry, and then pre-calculus, which is a combination of Algebra II, trigonometry, and analytic geometry. Once you're through all that, you're ready for calculus, which is necessary to truly understand most serious scientific subjects.

Note that this sequence takes three years for most students, and if you can only study part time, it may take longer, so don't be discouraged. Keep plugging away, because there are no short cuts. You MUST be competent in algebra and trig before you take calculus. And geometry teaches you not just facts about triangles and circles, but how to think and reason mathematically.

As for books, I suggest you save your money and get them from the internet. These subjects have been around for so long that the differences between texts is more style than substance, so just try to find one that seems to be at the right level and pace for YOU. Many very generous professors have written texts that you can download from their websites - just google for them. Here's a decent algebra text:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/Alg.aspx

You can look at each section online, or download a complete PDF from the "downloads" section.

Also, there are thousands of old texts that are out of copyright, and available for download from Google. Go here:

http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search

and check the button that says "full view only," and then search on algebra or geometry or whatever. You will find many textbooks that were written 100 or more years ago, but are still perfectly usable. In fact, some of the modern texts are so full of fluff trying to "make math fun" that they are hard for me to read.

Download a few and try to find one with an agreeable writing style for you. Don't make the mistake I often do and waste days or weeks searching for the "perfect" text. Good enough is good enough.

Also, whatever text you use, be aware that in every math class I've ever taken, we never read every chapter and section, and we never do all the problems in a given section. Especially with modern books, there are many more problems in the book than any teacher would assign. It's important to do *some* problems, but if you did every problem, it would take a week for each section. If you do end up with a modern textbook, you may want to google on its title and "site:.edu" to find colleges that use it, and look for a course syllabus that tells what problems are assigned by that teacher.

Good luck to you.

One more thing --- on forums like this, where many of the participants are very advanced in math, "algebra" means something different to them than it does to you, so be careful when you read recommendations on algebra texts in other threads. Most of the algebra texts you will find recommended in this forum are intended for advanced students who have already mastered calculus. Be sure that the algebra texts you read are intended for high school, or you will be completely lost.

Try John Bird books

I second the recommendation of the Math courses from Lamar mentioned above. They are very solid. The Khan academy is a good supplement, too.

brocks said:
One more thing --- on forums like this, where many of the participants are very advanced in math, "algebra" means something different to them than it does to you, so be careful when you read recommendations on algebra texts in other threads.

This would usually be called "Abstract Algebra" or "Modern Algebra" but, yes, we get sloppy and just call it Algebra - you don't want any of those books at this stage in your learning.

There is a very simple site that can help if you need to fill in some gaps before tackling the Lamar link:

Purplemath:
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm

Sankaku said:
This would usually be called "Abstract Algebra" or "Modern Algebra" but, yes, we get sloppy and just call it Algebra -

It's not just people here, it's the books themselves. For example, there is a popular book by Serge Lang that is simply titled "Algebra," but is written for graduate students.

1. What is pre-algebra?

Pre-algebra is a branch of mathematics that covers basic concepts and skills needed to understand more advanced algebraic concepts. It usually includes topics such as fractions, decimals, equations, and inequalities.

2. What topics are typically covered in a pre-algebra textbook?

A pre-algebra textbook typically covers topics such as number systems, basic operations, algebraic expressions, equations and inequalities, functions, and data analysis.

3. What is the purpose of a math textbook question after pre-algebra?

The purpose of a math textbook question after pre-algebra is to reinforce the concepts and skills learned in the pre-algebra curriculum. It also helps students practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

4. How can I use a math textbook question after pre-algebra to improve my math skills?

Using a math textbook question after pre-algebra can help improve your math skills by providing practice and repetition of concepts, as well as challenging you to apply your knowledge to solve different types of problems.

5. Are there any online resources available to supplement a math textbook question after pre-algebra?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a math textbook question after pre-algebra. These can include practice worksheets, interactive games, and video tutorials that cover the same topics and provide additional practice and support.