What is the best conceptual electronics book for beginners?

In summary, the conversation discusses a search for a electronics book that provides conceptual background before diving into math. Recommendations are made for the All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide by Harry Kybett and Earl Boysen, as well as other books such as Sedra Smith Microelectronics, Modern Physics or Solid State Electronics, and Malvino. The importance of understanding math in electronics is emphasized and resources for learning and practicing circuits are suggested.
PainterGuy
"conceptual" electronics book

Hello, :wink:

I have seen some books which do not explain give any conceptual background to electronics concepts. They use math to explain everything. I am in search of a book which first explains the concepts from conceptual point of view then comes to simple math content. The one I found on Amazon is:

All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self Teaching Guides) by Harry Kybett and Earl Boysen.

Please tell me of some good books so that I can make a choice. Many thanks for this.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

PainterGuy said:
Hello, :wink:

I have seen some books which do not explain give any conceptual background to electronics concepts. They use math to explain everything. I am in search of a book which first explains the concepts from conceptual point of view then comes to simple math content. The one I found on Amazon is:

All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self Teaching Guides) by Harry Kybett and Earl Boysen.

Please tell me of some good books so that I can make a choice. Many thanks for this.

Cheers

Conceptual in what way?

If you mean you want derivations of the circuit equations you could pick up Sedra Smith Microelectronics.

If you mean you want to understand why biasing equations for op amps and transistors need to be there, you could pick up Modern Physics or Solid State Electronics books.

clope023 said:
Conceptual in what way?

Hello clope023, :smile:

I need a book which is aimed at readers with not very broad knowledge of electronics beforehand but still gives understanding and explains why and how things work. It should also cover topics such MOSFETs. Hope you understand it. Many thanks.

Cheers

Did you get the Malvino book? That one is as good as it get for beginner. I started my career with that book...from knowing next to nothing! You seem to going the same path as I was in the begining!

Yes most of the books use math to demo all the theories, that's another thing that you should start considering to enroll in. There is really no way out, I tried to avoid math for 20 years and you'll find you hit the wall in all direction sooner or later. In my old age, I actually stop and concentrated on calculus for two years to get up to snub. I just finished PDE last year and it really help!

From having two tall book case of electronics books mainly on RF and analog electronics, Malvino is the best first book I ever seen and I doubt you'll find another one that explain better without getting into math. If that is still too much math, you know what you need right now!

PS, make sure it's the same Malvino that I referred to you, don't want to scare you to death if we are talking about different books!

I don't think this place is the best place to get opinion on this. Go find out what books used in trade school like Heald College or ITT etc. They tend to teach people in a very simple way. I got the Malvino book from Heald College at the time. Next is to try junior college. They tend to use very simple book also. Get a few used book for cheap. No one book can be good in all subjects.

Last edited:

yungman said:
Did you get the Malvino book? That one is as good as it get for beginner. I started my career with that book...from knowing next to nothing! You seem to going the same path as I was in the begining!

Yes most of the books use math to demo all the theories, that's another thing that you should start considering to enroll in. There is really no way out, I tried to avoid math for 20 years and you'll find you hit the wall in all direction sooner or later. In my old age, I actually stop and concentrated on calculus for two years to get up to snub. I just finished PDE last year and it really help!

From having two tall book case of electronics books mainly on RF and analog electronics, Malvino is the best first book I ever seen and I doubt you'll find another one that explain better without getting into math. If that is still too much math, you know what you need right now!

PS, make sure it's the same Malvino that I referred to you, don't want to scare you to death if we are talking about different books!

I don't think this place is the best place to get opinion on this. Go find out what books used in trade school like Heald College or ITT etc. They tend to teach people in a very simple way. I got the Malvino book from Heald College at the time. Next is to try junior college. They tend to use very simple book also. Get a few used book for cheap. No one book can be good in all subjects.

Hello yungman, :wink:

Many thanks for reply and advice. I understand you. Really appreciate your suggestions.

Do you recognize this https://www.amazon.com/dp/0073222771/?tag=pfamazon01-20?

In which forum are you active? I was waiting that you will help me with some of electronic circuit problems. :rolleyes: Much grateful.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Sedra Smith's Microelectronics is a good book, though quite large so very long chapters but you'll learn with it.

For practice solving circuit problems I recommend the Schaum's outline series for Electric Circuits and Microelectronic Devices.

PainterGuy said:
Hello yungman, :wink:

Many thanks for reply and advice. I understand you. Really appreciate your suggestions.

Do you recognize this https://www.amazon.com/dp/0073222771/?tag=pfamazon01-20?

In which forum are you active? I was waiting that you will help me with some of electronic circuit problems. :rolleyes: Much grateful.

Cheers

I mainly over here, you can always PM me here and I'll try to help if I can.

No I don't recognize your Malvino book at all. Remember I read that book over 30 years ago. That must be the 1st or 2nd edition! It was a black and white print only.

Go look around to see whether you can find a cheaper used book. I never buy new books to save money. I am a self studier all these years, one big secret is buy a lot of books so if you get stuck on one, jump to the other and see whether they explain a little better. Go check in the trade school book store, I am sure students are eager to sell their used books after the semister ( don't know how big a mistake they are making!). Never sell your used books.

If you don't have Heald College in your area, check with the Heald in California, ask what book they use in the first course electronics involving transistors and op-amps. I really studied two of the books they used, one was Malvino and the other was digital electronics. Both were about the best book I ever seen so far. I really wish I keep those two. But I remember both by heart! I started my career with those two books! I am dead serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

yungman said:
I mainly over here, you can always PM me here and I'll try to help if I can.

No I don't recognize your Malvino book at all. Remember I read that book over 30 years ago. That must be the 1st or 2nd edition! It was a black and white print only.

Go look around to see whether you can find a cheaper used book. I never buy new books to save money. I am a self studier all these years, one big secret is buy a lot of books so if you get stuck on one, jump to the other and see whether they explain a little better. Go check in the trade school book store, I am sure students are eager to sell their used books after the semister ( don't know how big a mistake they are making!). Never sell your used books.

If you don't have Heald College in your area, check with the Heald in California, ask what book they use in the first course electronics involving transistors and op-amps. I really studied two of the books they used, one was Malvino and the other was digital electronics. Both were about the best book I ever seen so far. I really wish I keep those two. But I remember both by heart! I started my career with those two books! I am dead serious.

Many thanks yungman.:wink: And thanks for allowing me to PM you. It's in 8th edition now and also has a co-author David Bates. I think it's the same Malvino because it has very good reviews.

You wouldn't believe it. I still have some of my books from 2nd grade. Many thanks. And you are very nice, happy to interact with you.

Edit:-- Who was the author of that digital electronics book? Tell me please.

Cheers

Last edited:

PainterGuy said:
Many thanks yungman.:wink: And thanks for allowing me to PM you. It's in 8th edition now and also has a co-author David Bates. I think it's the same Malvino because it has very good reviews.

You wouldn't believe it. I still have some of my books from 2nd grade. Many thanks. And you are very nice, happy to interact with you.

Edit:-- Who was the author of that digital electronics book? Tell me please.

Cheers

I don't remember the name anymore. That is really not that important, at the time we still had to study basic gates, FFs type of primitive circuits, digital circuits change dramatically since 30 years ago. Usually digital stuff are easy and there are a lot of books written in easy language. So I don't think you'll have problem with those. It's the analog and RF that is much harder to get in. But remember, start studying math. While you can started with Malvino, but if you are going to be in this field, you are going to need it. I tried for 20 years without the first two semister of calculus and finally I had to give in and stop for 2 years to study the multi-variable, differential equation and partial differential equation. Those take time and you should study along with Malvino. You thank me for that in the future.

Many thanks yungman. Someone also aid the book by Thomas Floyd Electronic Devices is also very good. It has very good reviews on Amazon too. Have you used it or know about it? Grateful for your advice on math.

Cheers

1. What is the purpose of a conceptual electronics book?

A conceptual electronics book serves as a guide for understanding the fundamental principles and concepts of electronics. It covers topics such as circuit analysis, semiconductor devices, and digital electronics.

2. Who is the target audience for a conceptual electronics book?

The target audience for a conceptual electronics book is typically students or professionals interested in learning or refreshing their knowledge on electronics. It can also be useful for hobbyists and anyone looking to gain a basic understanding of electronic systems.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading a conceptual electronics book?

A basic understanding of math and physics is usually recommended before diving into a conceptual electronics book. It can also be helpful to have some prior knowledge of circuit analysis and electrical components.

4. Are there any hands-on activities included in a conceptual electronics book?

Some conceptual electronics books may include practical exercises or simulations to enhance learning and understanding of the concepts discussed. However, the primary focus is typically on theoretical concepts rather than hands-on activities.

5. How can a conceptual electronics book be used in the real world?

A conceptual electronics book can be used as a reference for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits, as well as understanding the technology behind electronic devices. It can also serve as a starting point for further exploration and application of electronic principles in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and telecommunications.