Understanding Lorentz Transformations: A Derivation for A-Level Students

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help in understanding a derivation of the Lorentz transformations, specifically how the transformations c(tbar)=(ipsilon)ct+(Beta)x and xbar=(lambda)ct+(delta)x are obtained. They are an A level student with a background in pure maths and physics and are looking for an explanation or a source to understand the transformations. The person responding explains that the equations are just generalized linear transformations and clarifies that it should be "gamma" instead of "upsilon". They also mention that there is an error in the worldline of particle moving with speed v<c on the website. The person seeking help thanks the responder for their quick reply.
Alan Tua
Hi , I'd like to know if anybody could help me understand the following: I was following the following derivation of the Lorentz transformations (http://vishnu.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap1/node4.html) and i managed to understand everything except possibly the most crucial step...how does one get the transformations: c(tbar)=(ipsilon)ct+(Beta)x and xbar=(lambda)ct+(delta)x ? ... i m an A level student with pure maths and physics (here in malta we only do 2 subjects at a level :mad: ) if anybody could explain to me how one gets to the transformations or from where to find an explanation i d be super-grateful...thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you refer to are just genralized linear transformation. We know that the trnafomrtaions that we have to find must be of this form, so it's just a case of finding the unknowns.

Also, it's not upsilon it's gamma.

On a side note, the "worldline of particle moving with speed v<c" on
http://vishnu.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap1/node4.html
is incorrect. The tangents in the first part of the worldline are incorrectly drawn as spacelike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for such a quick reply...i got it now,,, thanks again

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are mathematical equations that describe how time and space measurements are affected by the relative motion of objects in special relativity.

2. Why is it important to understand Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are important because they help us understand how the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the significance of A-Level students learning about Lorentz transformations?

A-Level students are at a critical stage in their education where they are introduced to more advanced concepts in physics. Understanding Lorentz transformations can provide a solid foundation for their understanding of special relativity and other complex theories in physics.

4. How can Lorentz transformations be derived?

Lorentz transformations can be derived using the principles of special relativity, including the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. By applying these principles to the equations of motion, the Lorentz transformations can be derived.

5. What are some real-life applications of Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations have a wide range of applications, including in GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear physics. They are also important in understanding time dilation and length contraction in space travel and in the study of black holes.