Moving Phobos to join Deimos for single moon.

• Thread starter barycenter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary: Actually, I know what's not doable. Logistics. It would be the largest project ever undertaken by man, and it wold be a massive team of people, and they would be orders of magnitude farther from Earth than any human has...they'd need to build a space station, and then launch everything into space.
barycenter
With current technology, could humans move Phobos to join with Deimos to create a single Mars moon? Move moon as a whole/cut it up and move it in peices, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
barycenter said:
With current technology, could humans move Phobos to join with Deimos to create a single Mars moon? Move moon as a whole/cut it up and move it in peices, etc.

1] Why?
2] Depends on what you mean by current technology. With current technology, we could build a superhighway around the equator, but it would break the budget of a passel of large countries.

It is within current scientific and technological understanding. We understand the math and have the technology to apply a force to the moon, arguably it is possible to apply enough to move it. However as Dave pointed out, the cost would be simply enormous.

The challenge would be delivering enough fuel there for the delta-v (.5km/s) of an asteroid-sized (10^15kg) object.

Yep. I wonder how much fuel that would take for something akin to a hundred plus Saturn V rockets...just to throw out something.

Drakkith said:
Yep. I wonder how much fuel that would take for something akin to a hundred plus Saturn V rockets...just to throw out something.
Deimos masses about as much as a million Pyramids of Cheops or a billion Saturn Vs.

DaveC426913 said:
Deimos masses about as much as a million Pyramids of Cheops or a billion Saturn Vs.

Sorry, I meant how much fuel would be required if we use something akin to 100 saturn V's to provide the force to move the moon. IE bolt these massive engines to it and fire em up!

Drakkith said:
Sorry, I meant how much fuel would be required if we use something akin to 100 saturn V's to provide the force to move the moon. IE bolt these massive engines to it and fire em up!

Yeah, I know. My point was that it doesn't really matter what you use to provide the thrust - you could use one Saturn or a hundred (it would just be faster). The thing that is immutable is the mass to be moved times the change in velocity.

And.

One must not forget that we'll have to carry all our fuel with us (no on-site mining - current technology, remember), which means we'll need fuel to move that fuel. And fuel to move the fuel to move the fuel.

What ends up happening is that you need, like 95% of your fuel just to get your fuel to the target, leaving only 5% left to do any work. So, since you have a fixed amount of work to do, you work backwards from that, meaning you need to bring 20 times more fuel than you thought you needed.

Someone more number-savvy than me could work this out on the back of a napkin.

Yep. Where is the star ship Enterprise when you need her...

Even if we could move the moons do we have the technology to safely combine them together? It might be simpler to imagine mining one of them into powder and dumping this into the other moon.

ryan_m_b said:
Even if we could move the moons do we have the technology to safely combine them together? It might be simpler to imagine mining one of them into powder and dumping this into the other moon.

The same amount of energy would be needed, though.

sophiecentaur said:
The same amount of energy would be needed, though.

That's fine, I was just wondering if it was more practical.

Drakkith said:
It is within current scientific and technological understanding. We understand the math and have the technology to apply a force to the moon, arguably it is possible to apply enough to move it. However as Dave pointed out, the cost would be simply enormous.
Just because we understand the math and physics does not mean we have the technological understanding. Example: We have a very good idea of the mechanism by which the Sun produces energy and we have very good measurements of how much energy the Sun is producing. That we do have that knowledge does not mean we have the technological understanding of how to build an artificial Sun that produces that amount of energy.

D H said:
Just because we understand the math and physics does not mean we have the technological understanding. Example: We have a very good idea of the mechanism by which the Sun produces energy and we have very good measurements of how much energy the Sun is producing. That we do have that knowledge does not mean we have the technological understanding of how to build an artificial Sun that produces that amount of energy.

Perhaps true, but what about an example more relevant to the scenario? What's not doable?

Actually, I know what's not doable. Logistics. It would be the largest project ever undertaken by man, and it wold be a massive team of people, and they would be orders of magnitude farther from Earth than any human has ever been. And, as with fuel, so it is with people. 95% of people and survival resources might result in 5% of the people and the resources left over to actually do the work.

Where would they live? Not on the Moon... where would their air, food and water and building materials come from?

So, the project itself has just seen a 20-fold increase in size. And again, we need fuel to transport all that, which means we reapply the 20-fold factor to the fuel. Which means we now need 400 times more fuel than we originally anticipated.

Oh, did I mention we have to get all those people back home? Another 20-fold increase.

(There' s a reason why our current trips to Mars only send about a ton of payload, only send robots that don't need survival resources, and only send them on a one way trip.)

DaveC426913 said:
And, as with fuel, so it is with people. 95% of people and survival resources might result in 5% of the people and the resources left over to actually do the work.

Where would they live? Not on the Moon... where would their air, food and water and building materials come from?

Totally agree. Sticking with the stipulation that we can only use current technology there's no way this would be a manned mission. It would have to be robotic with delayed telepresence.

ryan_m_b said:
Totally agree. Sticking with the stipulation that we can only use current technology there's no way this would be a manned mission. It would have to be robotic with delayed telepresence.
That's not feasible, either. This simply isn't feasible, period, using current technology, or anything remotely resembling current technology.

D H said:
That's not feasible, either. This simply isn't feasible, period, using current technology, or anything remotely resembling current technology.

The issue at-hand is the subtle distinction between technological capability and logistical capability.

Enough Saturn V's with enough fuel* attached to Deimos would indeed move it. But the OP probably didn't realize how incredibly difficult that would be to achieve.

* actually, even this is beyond us. We do not have the technology to store more than one or two SaturnVs worth of LOx and LHi at a time. You'd need something that would store thousands and thousands of SaturnVs-worth of fuel and a continual pump system to feed the rockets.

DaveC426913 said:
* actually, even this is beyond us. We do not have the technology to store more than one or two SaturnVs worth of LOx and LHi at a time. You'd need something that would store thousands and thousands of SaturnVs-worth of fuel and a continual pump system to feed the rockets.
Exactly. Just because we know how to do X does not mean we know how to do 10*x, let alone 106*X. Technology oftentimes does not scale.

What do you mean Dave? Would it not be possible to simply make a lot of storage tanks?

Drakkith said:
What do you mean Dave? Would it not be possible to simply make a lot of storage tanks?
How long can LOx and LHi be stored? (Hours.)
How will we get it there? How will we store it for years in-transit?
How will we route it to the rockets?
Where will the power come from to refrigerate it?
etc.
etc.

I didn't realize you couldn't store Lox for more than a few hours.

Everybody seems to to have forgotten about the 5000 or so megatons of nuclear weapons we have lying around. That said, I'm sure we have means and the know-how to do this thing.

I suspect that storing Lox in space may not be as difficult as storing it on Earth. A few layers of reflective screens between the tank and the Sun (andEarth) would put it in a 'deep space' situation as far as far as balancing absorbing and radiating energy are concerned.
I still think the project would be a wasted exercise. The resources would be better spent on food!

Lsos said:
Everybody seems to to have forgotten about the 5000 or so megatons of nuclear weapons we have lying around.

No we haven't. They're a drop in this bucket.

Did I not mention that Deimos masses as much as a million Pyramids of Cheops? Now accelerate that by .5km/s.

sophiecentaur said:
I suspect that storing Lox in space may not be as difficult as storing it on Earth. A few layers of reflective screens between the tank and the Sun (andEarth) would put it in a 'deep space' situation as far as far as balancing absorbing and radiating energy are concerned.
Again: current technology. We don't have that technology.

DaveC426913 said:
Again: current technology. We don't have that technology.
?? Reflecting screens?

Are we after a soft landing or a good old collision? There would be a significant difference in the energy needed in each case.

sophiecentaur said:
?? Reflecting screens?
Do you seriously think it's that simple?

All right. How did all that LOx and LHi get into space in the first place, such that all you need to do is wrap some foil around it?

sophiecentaur said:
Are we after a soft landing or a good old collision? There would be a significant difference in the energy needed in each case.

How would a collision controllably accelerate Deimos to combine with Phobos? Again, seems easy to say, till you start thinking through the deets.

DaveC426913 said:
No we haven't. They're a drop in this bucket.

Ok I'm not so sure that it's possible. But still, I wouldn't say a drop in a bucket...not 5000 megatons.

DaveC426913 said:
Do you seriously think it's that simple?

All right. How did all that LOx and LHi get into space in the first place, such that all you need to do is wrap some foil around it?

How would a collision controllably accelerate Deimos to combine with Phobos? Again, seems easy to say, till you start thinking through the deets.

No, I'm not taking it at all seriously. I'm just commenting on isolated points.
No one insisted that the final orbit should be the same as the original, did they? The energy required would be less if the orbit could change. Still a barmy project, though.

Lsos said:
Ok I'm not so sure that it's possible. But still, I wouldn't say a drop in a bucket...not 5000 megatons.
I'll leave it to some math buff to guess how much bomb megatonnage can be converted to useful momentum, then we can simply divide that by a thousand billion tonnes of Moon moving at .5km/s.

Lsos said:
Everybody seems to to have forgotten about the 5000 or so megatons of nuclear weapons we have lying around. That said, I'm sure we have means and the know-how to do this thing.

I've been purposely leaving them out, as most people have a huge issue with them.

Would nuclear explosions actually help? Could it be controlled enough and could enough energy be provided?

EDIT: for clarity I mean with the weapons we have

Honestly I really don't know. I really don't even know how a nuclear explosion works in a vacuum. Is there a fireball? Is there a shock? Is it just a bright flash of light and heat?

Since it's in space, I imagine the moon wouldn't be blown to bits unless the explosion happened inside of it. If we blew it up close to the moon, it would probably heat up/ vaporize the surface, resulting in a makeshift rocket?

I do know that the stockpile we have has enough energy to at least give the thing a proper nudge. There's a few ideas on how to go about delivering this nudge, and in this discussion we shouldn't be constrained to talking about only the stockpile we have. Surely more could be built/ modified with the idea of controllably moving a moon (and not uncontrollably moving a city).

Ideally, you'd insert it under the surface, opposite to the direction you wanted it to go. Then a small amount of mass would be ejected in one direction and the moon would go in the opposite direction. (Conservation of momentum / Newton III). Using some of the moon's mass in that way would be better value. The exact depth etc would depend on the energy and the 'rate' of its production (i.e. Power), I think.

sophiecentaur said:
Ideally, you'd insert it under the surface, opposite to the direction you wanted it to go.
Current technology... We don't have robotic moon-mining tech yet.

sophiecentaur said:
Using some of the moon's mass in that way would be better value.

How much Moon would be left when we're done? How much would be dust in orbit, waiting to pulverize anything in its way?