Relationship between Fourier and Mellin transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Mellin transform and the Fourier transform. It is possible to express the Mellin transform in terms of the Fourier transform by substituting -is as the argument for the Fourier transform. This is shown through a mathematical example using Mathematica. However, this raises questions about the validity of using imaginary arguments for the Fourier transform and its implications on Fourier theory.
mnb96
Hello,

it is possible to prove that the Mellin transform of a function f(x) can be expressed in terms of Fourier transform, namely:

[tex]\mathcal{M}\{f(x)\}(s) = \mathcal{F}\{f(e^{-x}\}(-is)[/tex]

I am not convinced of that imaginary unit i as argument of the Fourier transform. In fact, since the argument (-is) is imaginary, that is not a Fourier transform anymore.

I don't see I could compute a Mellin transform using a Fourier transform. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you let:

[tex]F(f)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i x z} f(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]M(f)=\int_0^{\infty} x^{s-1}f(x)dx[/tex]

can you not let v=-ln(x) in the Mellin integral and come out with:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-izv}f(e^{-v})dv\biggr|_{z=-is}=F(f(e^{-v})\biggr|_{z=-is}[/tex]

Yes.
But you plugged -is as argument of the Fourier transform.
I thought the Fourier transform was defined only for real arguments.

In fact, if the argument is real the Fourier bases are complex sinusoids e-isx=cos(x)-isin(x), while if you use imaginary arguments you get real exponential functions esx: sin and cos disappear, the bases are not orthogonal anymore, Fourier integrals might not converge, and some theorems of Fourier theory might not be valid anymore :-|

Last edited:
mnb96 said:
Yes.
But you plugged -is as argument of the Fourier transform.
I thought the Fourier transform was defined only for real arguments.
|

The arguments for Fourier and Laplace transforms are in general, complex. Also, this is what I did in Mathematica to check this. Notice in th second calculation, you need to substitute s=-iz to obtain the Mellin result

Code:
f[x_] := Exp[-x^2]

Integrate[x^(s - 1)*f[x], {x, 0, Infinity}]

Integrate[Exp[(-I)*s*x]*f[Exp[-x]], 
  {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

Out[6]=
ConditionalExpression[(1/2)*Gamma[s/2], Re[s] > 0]

Out[7]=
ConditionalExpression[(1/2)*Gamma[(I*s)/2], 
  Im[s] < 0]

Last edited:

1. What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to its frequency domain. It decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies, providing a representation of the function as a sum of sinusoidal waves with different amplitudes and phases.

2. What is the Mellin transform?

The Mellin transform is a mathematical operation that is similar to the Fourier transform, but instead of converting a function from its original domain to its frequency domain, it converts a function from its original domain to its Mellin domain. It reveals the distribution of the singularities of a function and is often used in the study of special functions and number theory.

3. How are the Fourier and Mellin transforms related?

The Fourier and Mellin transforms are closely related as they both involve converting a function from one domain to another. The Mellin transform can be seen as a generalization of the Fourier transform, where the frequency variable is replaced by a more general variable called the Mellin variable. This allows for a wider range of functions to be transformed using the Mellin transform.

4. What are the applications of the Fourier and Mellin transforms?

The Fourier transform is widely used in many fields, including signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving differential equations and studying the properties of functions. The Mellin transform has applications in number theory, combinatorics, and the study of special functions such as the Riemann zeta function.

5. What is the relationship between the Fourier and Mellin transforms in terms of inversion?

The inverse Fourier transform and inverse Mellin transform are both used to convert a function from its frequency or Mellin domain back to its original domain. However, the Fourier transform has a simpler inversion formula, while the Mellin transform has a more complicated inversion formula due to the more general nature of the Mellin variable. In some cases, the Mellin transform can be used to simplify the inversion of the Fourier transform.