Pre requisit to study transmission lines and wave guides

In summary, to study transmission lines and wave guides, it is necessary to have a strong understanding of electromagnetics. While it is possible to learn about transmission lines without this knowledge, it is recommended to have a thorough understanding of phasors and the Smith Chart. The book "Microwave Engineering" by David Pozar is a good resource for this topic, and "Radio Frequency and Microwave Electronics" by Matthew M. Radmanesh is a good starting point for beginners. Ultimately, studying differential equations and electromagnetics is important for a comprehensive understanding of transmission lines and wave guides.
reddvoid
what is pre requisit to study transmission lines and wave guides...?
I've studied vector algebra and vector calculus, is it enough or ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

You need to study electromagnetics for this. You can study Tx line without EM like I did because it is all about phasors. If you accept the phasor concept without knowing how it comes from the solution of a differential equation, it is doable...I did it. Do you mean those TE waveguide? Waveguide is a different story, you really need to know EM, it is not even covered in undergrad EM class.

thanks alot, this really helped :-)

You can always skip EM and higher math and get on with the electronics. That's what I did when I was a RF engineer. I just study the 2 port parameters, phasors, Smith Charts and did quite a bit of RF designs. When you deal with Tx lines, you really need to know the Smith Chart inside out. You learn to think in Smith Chart. All the impedance transformation, source and load matching, stability of the circuit are all done with Smith Chart. I used to joke about I am dancing on the Smith Chart.

Get the Microwave Engineering by David Pozar, it cover a lot of transmission line stuff you need. You can skip the first chapter of EM and just study it. Make sure you work with the Smith Chart...A LOT! I tried to "see" how the Smith Chart trace move with components in my head. In RF, you really do not "see" how the circuit behave like in the normal transistor or analog circuits you study in those transistor or op-amp books. It is like training yourself a different way of thinking and seeing. You'll be surprised a lot of RF engineer is not very good with Smith Chart and resort of copying application circuit given by the manufacturers.

If you find Pozar too hard, get the Radio Frequency and Microwave Electronics by Matthew M. Radmanesh. This is the easiest book I've seen to get you feet wet into RF and tx lines. Then you study Pozar.

But ultimately, you should go the hard way, study Differential Eq., EM. I actually studied ODE, PDE and EM afterwards and find out how much I missed even though I successfully designed in RF.

Last edited:

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized type of cable used to carry electrical energy from one point to another. It consists of two or more conductors separated by a dielectric material, and is primarily used to transmit high frequency signals.

2. What are the main components of a transmission line?

The main components of a transmission line include the conductors, dielectric material, and the outer jacket or sheath. The conductors are typically made of copper or aluminum and carry the electrical energy, while the dielectric material provides insulation and support for the conductors. The outer jacket protects the transmission line from external factors such as moisture and mechanical damage.

3. What is the purpose of a waveguide?

A waveguide is a type of transmission line that is specially designed to guide and direct electromagnetic waves at high frequencies. It is commonly used in microwave and radar systems to efficiently transmit and receive electromagnetic energy without significant loss.

4. What are the main applications of transmission lines and waveguides?

Transmission lines and waveguides are used in a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, radio and television broadcasting, satellite communication, and radar systems. They are also essential components in electrical power transmission and distribution systems.

5. What are the key factors to consider when studying transmission lines and waveguides?

Some key factors to consider when studying transmission lines and waveguides include the type of material used, the geometry of the line, the frequency of operation, and the type of signal being transmitted. Other important factors include impedance matching, signal propagation, and attenuation. Understanding these factors is crucial in designing and optimizing the performance of transmission lines and waveguides.