Double Pulley Systems/Complex Pulley System Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an antique scale that has lost its conversion to useful units. The individual has been given an extra spring with a known spring constant and has descended the platform by 0.98cm. They are trying to determine their mass using the principles of conservation of energy and equating gravitational force to the spring force. The solution involves using the spring constant equation and assuming that all 4 springs have the same value of k. The final answer is a mass of 60kg.
mk8993
Hey..
This is a question I received as part of my homework

Your great grandmother gave you an antique scale that her great grandmother gave to her. It consists of a square platform mounted on 4 identical
springs. When you step on the platform, you compress the springs, causing
the platform to descend slightly, A needle indicates by how many centimeters you have descended. Unfortunately the conversion to useful units (like
stone, or poundals) has been lost. However, your great-grandmother also
gave you an extra spring, and on its label it says that the spring constant
is 1.5 × 10
4N/m. When you get on the scale you cause the platform to
descend by 0.98cm. What is your mass?

I have no idea how to go about solving this problem or what equations to use but, do I have to use the principles of conservation of energy for this? Equating gravitational to spring?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mk8993 ,if I'm not wrong then this is d solution:
When you got on the platform you applies a force(=your weight) on it which causes all the 4 springs to descend.Suppose your weight is W.
From spring const. eqn. F=kx,since all the 4 springs descend through the same distance then the force is distributed into four(number of springs) parts according to their spring constants i.e here, x being constant the more the value of k the more F will be.Here all springs have same value of k so,for one spring W/4=1.5*10^4*0.98*10^-2⇔W=588N
so your mass is =588/9.8=60kg[assuming g=9.8m/s^2]

1. How do double pulley systems work?

Double pulley systems work by using two pulleys connected by a rope or belt. One pulley is fixed while the other is movable. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the movable pulley will move in the opposite direction, making the load easier to lift.

2. What are the advantages of using a double pulley system?

The main advantage of using a double pulley system is that it increases the mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects. It also allows the direction of the force to be changed, making it more versatile for different tasks.

3. What are some common problems with complex pulley systems?

Some common problems with complex pulley systems include friction, which can reduce the efficiency of the system, and incorrect placement or alignment of the pulleys, which can cause the system to jam or malfunction.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a double pulley system?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a double pulley system, you need to divide the load by the effort. The load is the weight of the object being lifted, and the effort is the force applied to the rope. For example, if the load is 100 pounds and the effort is 50 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 100/50 = 2. This means that the system can lift the load with half the effort.

5. Can complex pulley systems be used in real-life applications?

Yes, complex pulley systems are commonly used in various real-life applications, such as elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also used in industries like manufacturing and agriculture to lift heavy objects and move materials. They are an essential tool in making tasks easier and more efficient.