Find Oxidation State of S in S2O32- Reducing Cl2

In summary, the conversation is discussing the oxidation state of the product of a reaction involving one mole of aqueous S2O32- ions and four moles of Cl2 molecules. The oxidation state of sulphur in S2O32- is +2 and since 4 moles of Cl2 are reduced, 8 electrons are released by the S2O32- ions. The problem is to determine the oxidation state of chlorine in the resulting compound and the number of electrons involved in the reaction. The solution involves using an electronic balance and conservation of the total number of chlorine atoms.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

One mole of aqueous S2O32- ions reduces four moles of Cl2 molecules. What is the oxidation state of the sulphur containing product of this reaction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

oxidation state in S2O32- = +2

since 4moles of Cl2 are reduced, 8 electrons are released by S2O32- ions.

these are all information i can get, but i have no ideas how to proceed, please help me..

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the electronic balance and use the fact that the total nr of chlorine atoms should be conserved.

[tex] S_{2}O_{3}^{2-} + 4 Cl_2-----> ... [/tex]

What's the oxydation state of chlorine in the resulting compound ? How many electrons are changes for all 8 ions ?

dextercioby said:
Write down the electronic balance and use the fact that the total nr of chlorine atoms should be conserved.

[tex] S_{2}O_{3}^{2-} + 4 Cl_2-----> ... [/tex]

What's the oxydation state of chlorine in the resulting compound ? How many electrons are changes for all 8 ions ?

Thanks.. but i still don't understand..

I know that number of e- received by chlorine = number of e- released by S2O32-

but the problem is how i find the number of e- released by S2O32- from the information given?

Please guide me..:confused:

You should start with the chlorine. You know that 8 <pieces> of chlorine go from oxydation state 0 to oxydation state -1. How many electrons are captured ?

To find the oxidation state of the sulfur-containing product in this reaction, we first need to identify what the product is. The product of this reaction is likely to be sulfur dioxide (SO2) since it is a common product of the reduction of sulfur-containing compounds.

To determine the oxidation state of sulfur in SO2, we can use the following equation:

Oxidation state of sulfur + 2 x oxidation state of oxygen = 0

Since oxygen has an oxidation state of -2 in SO2, we can solve for the oxidation state of sulfur:

Oxidation state of sulfur + 2 x (-2) = 0
Oxidation state of sulfur = +4

Therefore, the oxidation state of sulfur in the product of this reaction is +4. This indicates that sulfur has been oxidized in the reaction.

1. What is the oxidation state of sulfur in S2O32-?

The oxidation state of sulfur in S2O32- is +4.

2. How do you determine the oxidation state of sulfur in S2O32-?

To determine the oxidation state of sulfur in S2O32-, you can use the following formula: oxidation state of sulfur + (3 x oxidation state of oxygen) + (2 x oxidation state of sulfur) = charge of the ion (-2 for S2O32-).

3. What is the reducing agent in the reaction between S2O32- and Cl2?

The reducing agent in this reaction is S2O32-.

4. What is the role of sulfur in S2O32- in the reaction with Cl2?

Sulfur in S2O32- acts as an oxidizing agent, meaning it causes the oxidation of another substance. In this reaction, sulfur is oxidizing Cl2 to form Cl- ions.

5. How does the oxidation state of sulfur change in the reaction between S2O32- and Cl2?

The oxidation state of sulfur changes from +4 to +6 in this reaction, as it gains two electrons from Cl2 to form the S2O32- ion.