Reading and interpreting scientific journals.

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate engineering project that requires replicating graphs from a paper using matlab. The person encountered a problem where the data points were on a different paper. They asked for help in finding the data points and were advised to share the citations of the papers. It was later discovered that the wrong paper was referenced, and the correct one was found.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

I'm working on an undergraduate engineering project which requires us to read a paper and replicate certain graphs using matlab.

While reading the journal I hit a slump where one of the graphs stated that the data points were on a different paper.

I searched for that paper, and could not find the data points.

I know they are subtly hidden, but I'm not sure how to sniff them out?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this, the Psychic Friends Hotline? If you share the citations of the papers, you might get some help. Otherwise, only a crystal ball will get you anywhere.

It looks like you've got the wrong source journal paper.

Fig. 2B in the NAS paper references Watras et al., Journal of Neuroscience (1991).

The second paper you have cited is not that paper, and was published in 1998 after the first paper. The second paper, however, references Watras (1991).

I appreciate the help steam I found the correct article.

1. What is the purpose of reading and interpreting scientific journals?

Reading and interpreting scientific journals allows scientists to stay updated on the latest research and findings in their respective fields. It also helps them to critically evaluate the quality and validity of the research, and use this information to inform their own studies and experiments.

2. How do I know if a scientific journal is reliable?

A reliable scientific journal is one that has undergone a rigorous peer-review process, where experts in the field critically evaluate the research before it is published. Additionally, reputable scientific journals often have a high impact factor, indicating that their publications are widely cited by other researchers.

3. How can I effectively read and understand a scientific journal article?

To effectively read and understand a scientific journal article, it is important to start by reading the abstract and introduction to get an overview of the research. Then, read the methods section to understand how the study was conducted, followed by the results and discussion sections to understand the findings and their implications. It can also be helpful to take notes and look up any unfamiliar terms or concepts.

4. What is the difference between primary and secondary sources in scientific journals?

Primary sources in scientific journals refer to original research studies, where the authors present their own findings and conclusions. Secondary sources, on the other hand, refer to articles that summarize and analyze existing research studies. Primary sources are usually considered more reliable and valuable in the scientific community.

5. How can I critically evaluate a scientific journal article?

To critically evaluate a scientific journal article, it is important to consider the study design, methodology, and sample size. Additionally, evaluating the credibility and potential biases of the authors can also be helpful. It is important to look for any conflicting or inconsistent results and consider the implications of the findings in the wider context of existing research.