Which formula for energy and heat transfer?

In summary, a perfect gas is compressed in a cylinder according to the law pV1.3 = C, with an initial condition of 1.05 bar, 0.34 m3, and 17 oC. The final pressure is 6.32 bar, and given that cv = 0.7175 kJkg-1 and R = 0.287 kJkg-1, we can calculate the work transfer and heat transfer during the compression. The formula δW = PdV may be used, but the value of d is unknown. Calculus may be needed to solve this problem.
Marshiewoo
A perfect gas is compressed in a cylinder reversibly according to the law pV1.3 = C. The initial condition of the gas is 1.05 bar, 0.34 m3 and 17 oC. If the final pressure is 6.32 bar; and given that cv = 0.7175 kJkg-1 and R = 0.287 kJkg-1.

Calculate the following.

(a) The work transfer to the gas compressed

(b) The heat transfer during the compression

I would like to ask, what formula can I use to calculate the answers.

I have found in my book that the following formula might work, but I am not sure what d is. It is such a frustrating subject so please don't slate me saying I haven't tried because I really have I promise.

δW = PdV

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had calculus yet?

1. What is the difference between energy and heat transfer?

Energy is the ability to do work, while heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another. In other words, energy is a property of a system, while heat transfer is a process that occurs in the system.

2. What is the formula for calculating energy?

The formula for calculating energy is E = mgh, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating heat transfer?

The formula for calculating heat transfer is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How does the formula for heat transfer change for different materials?

The formula for heat transfer remains the same for different materials, but the specific heat capacity (c) will vary depending on the material. This is because different materials require different amounts of energy to change their temperature.

5. Can the formula for energy and heat transfer be applied to all systems?

The formula for energy and heat transfer can be applied to most systems, but it may need to be modified for more complex systems. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of different materials may need to be taken into consideration for accurate calculations.