What is their angular speed?

In summary, two skaters of equal mass (85 kg) and opposite velocities (1.6 m/s) approach each other on frictionless ice. The first skater carries one end of a pole with negligible mass and the second skater grabs the other end as she passes, connecting them. To solve for their motion, conservation of angular momentum is used, with the moment of inertia for one skater being mr^2. After calculations, the angular speed is found to be approximately 0.229 rad/s. However, an error may have been made in the calculation, as the parameters for both skaters are identical and should result in equal values for both sides of the equation. An alternate
Punchlinegirl
Two skaters, each of mass 85 kg, approach each other along parallel paths separated by 3.5 m. They have equal and opposite velocities of 1.6 m/s. The first skater carries one end of a long pole with negligible mass, and the second skater grabs the other end of it as she passes. Assume frictionless ice. Describe quantitatively the motion of the skaters after they have become connected by the pole. What is their angular speed?

I know that to solve this I need to use conservation of angular momentum, but I'm unsure what the moment of inertia is. Would it just be .5MR^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just add the moments of inertia of the two skaters with respect to the axis of rotation (center of pole). The moment of inertia of one person (treated as a point particle) is mr^2.

Ok, I used:
L init= L final
Iw= Iw
mr^2 = (mr^2 + mr^2) w
I converted the linear velocity to angular velocity, v=wr
subsituting gives
85(3.5^2)(.457)= 2(85)(3.5^2) w
and dividing gives w= .229 rad/s, which isn't right.
Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Since the parameters for both skaters are the exactly the same both sides of the angular momentum equation will be exactly the same as well if you write them in terms of the same quantities.

I.e. Iw = Iw (2mr^2)w = (2mr^2)w

try using the fact that L = (m+m)vr = 2mvr along with Iw

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as rotational speed, is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates, while linear speed is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second or degrees per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second or other units of distance per unit of time.

3. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle through which an object rotates by the time it takes to complete that rotation. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed of an object by its radius.

4. What factors affect an object's angular speed?

The main factors that affect an object's angular speed are its radius, the force or torque applied to it, and its moment of inertia. The shape and mass distribution of an object can also affect its angular speed.

5. How is angular speed useful in science?

Angular speed is useful in science because it helps us understand the motion of rotating objects. It is also used in calculations for rotational motion, such as calculating the centrifugal force of an object or the acceleration of a rotating mass.