Renormalization of the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model

In summary, the paper discusses the renormalization of the bosonic non-linear \sigma model at one loop level in section 3. The perturbation of the action in Riemann normal coordinates is calculated and the functional \Omega_B[\phi] is determined. The paper also explains that the diagrams can be drawn like FIG2 and the only divergent one-loop diagrams are the three types shown. There are also some questions about the definition of L_\text{int}.
synoe
I have some questions about this paper:http://users.phys.psu.edu/~radu/extra_strings/freedman_sigma_model.pdf

In section 3, they renormalize the bosonic non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model at one loop level.
The action is given by
[tex]
I_B[\phi]=\frac{1}{2}\int d^2xg_{ij}(\phi^k)\partial_\mu\phi^i\partial_\mu\phi^j.
[/tex]
Perturbation [itex]\phi=\varphi+r[/itex] of this action in Riemann normal coordinate is written by
[tex]
\begin{align}
I_B^{(2)}[\varphi+r]=I_B[\varphi]+\int d^2xg_{ij}\partial_\mu\varphi^iD_\mu\xi^j+\frac{1}{2}\int d^2x\left[g_{ij}D_\mu\xi^iD^\mu \xi^j+R_{ik_1k_2j}\xi^{k_1}\xi^{k_2}\partial_\mu\varphi^i\partial^\mu \partial^j\varphi\right].
\end{align}
[/tex]
The second term vanishes by using equation of motion. Then calculate the functional
[tex]
\Omega_B[\phi]=\langle0|\exp i\int d^2xL_{\text{int}}(\phi,\xi)|0\rangle
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\int d^2xL_{\text{int}}(\phi,\xi)\equiv I_B^{(2)}[\phi,\xi^a]-\frac{1}{4}\int d^2x\partial_\mu\xi^a\partial_\mu\xi^a.
[/tex]

According to this paper, the diagrams are like FIG2 and divergent one-loop diagrams are only these three types.

Why diagrams can be drawn like FIG2? I don't know how to treat the external field [itex]\phi[/itex].
Why divergent diagrams are the three types?
The definition of [itex]L_\text{int}[/itex] is correct? I think it should be [itex]\int d^2xL_{\text{int}}(\phi,\xi)\equiv I_B^{(2)}[\phi,\xi^a]-\frac{1}{2}\int d^2x\partial_\mu\xi^a\partial_\mu\xi^a[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the renormalization process for the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model?

The renormalization process for the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model involves adjusting the parameters of the model to account for fluctuations and interactions at different length scales. This is done by rescaling the model and adjusting the parameters so that it accurately describes physical phenomena at different scales.

2. Why is renormalization important for the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model?

Renormalization is important for the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model because it allows us to make accurate predictions about physical systems at different length scales. Without renormalization, the model would not accurately reflect the behavior of the system at different scales, leading to incorrect predictions.

3. How does renormalization affect the behavior of the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model?

Renormalization can change the behavior of the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model by altering the values of the parameters and therefore changing the overall dynamics of the system. This can result in different predictions and behaviors at different length scales, allowing for a more accurate representation of physical systems.

4. What are the challenges of renormalization for the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model?

One of the main challenges of renormalization for the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model is finding the appropriate scale to renormalize at, as this can affect the accuracy of the predictions. Additionally, the renormalization process can be mathematically complex and difficult to apply in certain situations.

5. How is renormalization of the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model related to other areas of physics?

Renormalization of the non-linear [itex]\sigma[/itex] model is a key concept in quantum field theory and is used in many other areas of physics, such as condensed matter physics and statistical mechanics. It is also closely related to the concept of universality, which describes the behavior of systems at different length scales.