Further reading on angular/spin momentum

In summary, angular/spin momentum is a property of particles that describes their rotational motion and is a conserved quantity in physics. It is measured in units of angular momentum or Planck's constant divided by 2π and has practical applications in everyday life, such as in engines and understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.
wintercarver
hi all,

i've taken a junior level QM course using griffith's introduction to QM text. I've been wanting to review and broaden my exposure to quantum mechanics a
bit over summer and was wondering if anyone could recommend any texts they've found to be excellent. currently I'm looking to read up on angular/spin
momentum and its subtleties. i was told that one could approach the
entirety of QM in a matrix formulation too, which also sounds interesting.
any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks all.

-kev

Physics news on Phys.org
The third volume of Feynman's lectures should be a smart choice.

Daniel.

Hi Kev,

It's great that you're looking to review and broaden your understanding of quantum mechanics over the summer. I highly recommend "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. It covers the basics of quantum mechanics in a clear and concise manner, including a section on angular momentum and spin. Another great book is "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai, which also has a detailed chapter on angular momentum and spin.

In terms of approaching QM in a matrix formulation, I suggest checking out "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. It covers the matrix formulation of quantum mechanics and also has a chapter on angular momentum and spin.

Hope these suggestions help and happy reading!

1. What is angular/spin momentum?

Angular/spin momentum is a property of particles that describes their rotational motion. It is a combination of their mass, velocity, and distance from a chosen point of rotation.

2. Why is angular/spin momentum important in physics?

Angular/spin momentum is important in physics because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it does not change unless an external force is applied. This allows for the prediction and understanding of the behavior of rotating objects and particles.

3. What is the difference between angular momentum and spin momentum?

Angular momentum refers to the rotational motion of macroscopic objects, such as planets or spinning tops. Spin momentum, on the other hand, refers to the intrinsic rotational motion of fundamental particles, such as electrons or protons.

4. How is angular/spin momentum measured?

Angular/spin momentum is measured in units of angular momentum, which is equal to the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In quantum mechanics, spin momentum is measured in units of Planck's constant divided by 2π.

5. What are some applications of angular/spin momentum in everyday life?

Angular/spin momentum has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, gyroscopes, and flywheels. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which is essential in fields such as chemistry and materials science.