Refraction : freq remains unchanged

• Thread starter momentum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the frequency of light remains unchanged when it refracts into another medium, while the velocity and wavelength change. The frequency is determined by the source and is not affected by the medium it travels through. This is true for all waves, including sound waves. There is a formula, v=n*lambda, which represents the relationship between velocity, frequency, and wavelength. This forum is a great place to ask questions about physics and other subjects, such as social science, geography, and economics.
momentum
this is my first post in this forum.
i have a question :
i have read that when light refracts into other medium its frequency remains unchanged but velocity and wavelength changes.

there is a formula to it : v=n*lamda (v=velocity,n=freq,lambda=wavelength)

Q1: why the freq remains unchanged ?

Q2: is it true for all waves (like sound, etc ) ?

thank you

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
YES.The frequency is determined by the source.By the vibration of those electrons,or by the specific transition which occurs inside the atom.

Daniel.

i am so glad that my question has been answered so fast. i have understood your answer. this is a great forum.

i have some questions on social science, geography . will you please tell me some forum links where i could post questions on these topics. is there any forum like this which supports questions on social sc, geography,economis ?

Yes, the frequency means the cycles/sec , which as daniel said is determined by the source but the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive troughs/crests , when a light ray enters into the medium this length between crests/trough decreasses but the frequency remains the same. This happenes with all the electromagnetic waves and sound waves.

Yes, the frequency means the cycles/sec , which as daniel said is determined by the source but the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive troughs/crests , when a light ray enters into the medium this length between crests/trough decreasses but the frequency remains the same. This happenes with all the electromagnetic waves and sound waves.

thanks doctor. that's very beautiful .

You can ask all your questions here.In this forum for "genetal physics" and in other specialized forums for other subjects.

Welcome ot PF !

Daniel.

1. What is refraction and how does it work?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums, causing it to change direction.

2. Why does the frequency of light remain unchanged during refraction?

The frequency of light remains unchanged during refraction because it is a characteristic property of the light wave itself. It is determined by the source of the light and does not change as it passes through different mediums.

3. Can the frequency of light change during refraction?

No, the frequency of light cannot change during refraction. As mentioned before, frequency is an inherent property of light and does not depend on the medium it is passing through. Therefore, it remains constant during refraction.

4. How does refraction affect the speed of light?

Refraction does not affect the speed of light itself, but it does alter the speed at which light travels through different mediums. This is due to the change in direction and the density of the medium, which can cause the light to either speed up or slow down.

5. Are there any factors that can cause the frequency of light to change during refraction?

No, there are no factors that can cause the frequency of light to change during refraction. As mentioned before, frequency is a characteristic property of light and does not depend on external factors. Therefore, it remains unchanged during refraction.