Can't figure out this problem regarding two bodies with different accelerations

In summary, the problem involves a car with a constant acceleration of 2.8 m/s^2 trying to overtake a truck traveling with a constant speed of 23.5 m/s. To find the distance and speed at which the car overtakes the truck, we can use the equations d = v0t + 1/2at^2 and v = v0 + at. By setting these equations equal to each other and solving, we find that the car overtakes the truck at a distance of 394.465 meters and a speed of 46.99 m/s.
NutriGrainKiller
I am so close to figuring this problem out, but I just can't quite get it. Here's the problem:

At the instant the traffic light turns green, a car that has been waiting at an intersection starts ahead with a constant acceleration of 2.80 m/s^2. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 23.5 m/s, overtakes and passes the car.
A) How far beyond its starting point does the car overtake the truck?
B) How fast is the car traveling when it overtakes the truck?

Here is what is given:
car: Vyi = 0, Ax = 2.8 m/s^2
truck: Vyi = 23.5 m/s, Vyf = 23.5 m/s, Ax = 0

here is what i know:
1)If graphed, y-axis being distance and x-acis being time, the truck would like like a straight diagonal line, while the car would be sloping up, crossing over the truck's path at some point (I'll call it X). I am trying to find X.
2)I know I need to use two different kinematic equations and set them equal to each other, but this is where I start to not understand.
3) So, what I am trying to find is when the distance of both equations are equal to each other? So solve a couple kinematic equations for D then set them to each other right? Here's what I get:

(23.5 m/s)(T) = (1/2)(2.8 m/s^2)(T^2)

which turns out to be T = 16.79 seconds..is this correct? If it is I can use it to get the final answers for both A and B. Thanks guys!

please don't waste your time with this, turns out I was right! :eek:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thought process and progress so far. It looks like you are on the right track!

To find the distance (A) that the car overtakes the truck, you can use the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity for the car is 0 and the acceleration is 2.8 m/s^2. The initial velocity for the truck is 23.5 m/s and the acceleration is 0. So, the equation for the car becomes d = 0 + 1/2(2.8)(t^2) and the equation for the truck is d = 23.5t.

Since we want to find the distance when the car overtakes the truck, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for t. This gives us:

0 + 1/2(2.8)(t^2) = 23.5t

Solving for t, we get t = 16.79 seconds, which confirms your answer.

To find the speed (B) of the car when it overtakes the truck, we can use the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity for the car is 0 and the acceleration is 2.8 m/s^2. The initial velocity for the truck is 23.5 m/s and the acceleration is 0. So, the equation for the car becomes v = 0 + (2.8)(16.79) = 46.99 m/s.

Therefore, the final answers for A and B are:
A) The car overtakes the truck at a distance of 23.5(16.79) = 394.465 meters.
B) The car is traveling at a speed of 46.99 m/s when it overtakes the truck.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Hi there,

It looks like you have a good understanding of the problem and how to approach it. You are correct in using kinematic equations to solve for the distance and time when the car overtakes the truck. Your equation for time, T = 16.79 seconds, is correct.

To solve for the distance, you can plug this time value into either of the kinematic equations you used and solve for distance. The answer should be around 197.6 meters.

To find the speed of the car when it overtakes the truck, you can use the kinematic equation Vf = Vi + at, where Vi is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration of the car (2.8 m/s^2), and t is the time you found (16.79 seconds). This should give you a final velocity of 47.0 m/s.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work and keep practicing with kinematic equations. They can be tricky at first, but with practice, you'll become more comfortable using them to solve problems like this one. Good luck!

1. What are the key factors that affect the acceleration of two bodies?

The main factors that affect the acceleration of two bodies are their masses, the force acting on them, and any external forces present. The greater the mass of the bodies, the greater the force needed to accelerate them. Similarly, a larger force will result in a greater acceleration. Any external forces, such as friction, will also affect the acceleration of the bodies.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of two bodies with different masses?

The acceleration of two bodies with different masses can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What is the role of Newton's third law of motion in the acceleration of two bodies?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two bodies exert a force on each other, the magnitude of the force on each body will be the same, but the direction will be opposite. This plays a crucial role in determining the acceleration of the bodies, as the net force acting on each body will be affected by the reaction force from the other body.

4. Can the acceleration of two bodies be different even if they have the same force acting on them?

Yes, the acceleration of two bodies can be different even if they have the same force acting on them. This is because the acceleration is also affected by the mass of the bodies. If the masses of the bodies are different, then the one with a larger mass will have a lower acceleration, even with the same force acting on it.

5. How can external forces affect the acceleration of two bodies?

External forces, such as friction or air resistance, can significantly affect the acceleration of two bodies. These forces act in the opposite direction to the motion of the bodies and can decrease their acceleration. In some cases, external forces can even cause the bodies to decelerate or come to a complete stop.