Conceptual Newtons laws of motion question- mass and weight

In summary, on Planet X, a ball of mass m is released from rest at a height h and takes a time t to reach the ground. Ignoring any force from the atmosphere, we can use the kinematic formula x=x_0+v_0*t+(1/2)a*t^2 to find the acceleration due to gravity on the planet. The ball's weight on the surface of Planet X would be equal to mass times this acceleration, or m*(h/(.5t^2)).
ledhead86
You have just landed on Planet X. You take out a ball of mass , release it from rest from a height of and measure that it takes a time of to reach the ground. You can ignore any force on the ball from the atmosphere of the planet.

How much does the ball weigh on the surface of Planet X?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Find the acceleration due to gravity.

i know that w=m*g
so i assumed that g would be equal to h/t. But apparently that is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ledhead86 said:
so i assumed that g would be equal to h/t.
The units aren't even correct! (h/t would be a speed, not an acceleration.)

What's the kinematic formula connecting distance, time, and acceleration for uniformly accelerated motion?

x=x_0+v_0*t+(1/2)a*t^2

so would the acceleration be h/(.5t^2)

and the final answer be mass*(h/(.5t^2))

Sounds good to me.

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a constant property of an object, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

2. How are mass and weight related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion state that an object's mass determines its resistance to changes in motion (inertia), while its weight is the force that causes it to accelerate. This means that an object with more mass will require more force to accelerate, according to the second law of motion.

3. Can the mass of an object change, but not its weight?

Yes, the mass of an object can change without affecting its weight. This can happen, for example, when an object undergoes a chemical reaction or changes its state (i.e. from solid to liquid). Weight, however, will always be affected by changes in gravity.

4. How does gravity affect mass and weight on different planets?

Mass remains constant on different planets, as it is an intrinsic property of an object. However, weight will vary depending on the strength of gravity on each planet. For example, an object that weighs 100 pounds on Earth would only weigh 38 pounds on Mars due to the weaker gravitational pull.

5. How do mass and weight affect an object's motion?

An object's mass determines its resistance to changes in motion, while its weight affects the force of gravity acting on it. In terms of motion, this means that a heavier object will require more force to accelerate, and a lighter object will accelerate more easily.