Looking for atomic energy level database

In summary, the speaker is looking for a database or software that can provide them with an energy level diagram for atoms, specifically for Cd. They mention consulting NIST Atomic database, but were unable to find the diagram. They state that it is usually possible to calculate this using quantum chemistry software, but without it, it can be difficult to determine which energy levels correspond to which orbitals. They also mention that logfiles generated by the software may contain this information.
einstein1921
Hello,everyone! I want to know if there is database which can tell me the energy level diagram of atom. I have consulted NIST Atomic database,but I can't find energy level diagram. so anybody can help me ? I WANT to get the energy leverl diagram like hydrogen atom in modern books(potential energy is 0 at infinite) Thank you!
ps: I want to get the energy level diagram of Cd
I want to know the energy of 1s electron if we set infinite potential energy to zero!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually it can be calculated using quantum chemistry softwares like Gaussian. Without software it is tough.

Kholdstare said:
Usually it can be calculated using quantum chemistry softwares like Gaussian. Without software it is tough.
Thank you for your reply! take Cd example, I calculate the atomic orbital with Gaussian! there are 24 energy level,but I don't know which energy level is 3s, which is 4d and so on! would you please to help! Thank you!

Attachments

• 未命名123456.jpg
    未命名123456.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 606
einstein1921 said:
Thank you for your reply! take Cd example, I calculate the atomic orbital with Gaussian! there are 24 energy level,but I don't know which energy level is 3s, which is 4d and so on! would you please to help! Thank you!

Have you tried to read the generated logfiles? Those may contain information regarding orbitals and energy.

1. What is an atomic energy level database?

An atomic energy level database is a collection of information about the energy levels of atoms. It includes data on the energy states, transitions, and spectra of atoms.

2. Why is an atomic energy level database important?

An atomic energy level database is important for understanding the behavior of atoms and their interactions with other atoms and electromagnetic radiation. It is also essential for applications in fields such as atomic and molecular spectroscopy, quantum chemistry, and astrophysics.

3. Where can I find an atomic energy level database?

There are several atomic energy level databases available online, including those provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the Atomic Spectra Database (ASD). These databases are constantly updated and maintained by experts in the field.

4. How is data in an atomic energy level database collected?

Data in an atomic energy level database is collected through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, and theoretical calculations. These data are then compiled and verified by scientists to ensure accuracy and reliability.

5. Can I use an atomic energy level database for my research?

Yes, an atomic energy level database can be a valuable resource for researchers in various fields. It can provide data for theoretical models, assist in the interpretation of experimental results, and aid in the design of new experiments. However, it is important to properly cite the source of the data and verify its applicability to your specific research.