Low cost buck regulator - 12v in - 5v@2A & 6.5V@1A out

In summary, the individual is seeking a low-cost power regulation solution that can provide 5V@2A and 6.5V@1A outputs from a 12V input. They are considering using two switching regulators in parallel but are unsure if this is possible and would cost $40. They are looking for a cheaper and readily available alternative, with the LM2596 being suggested as a potential option. However, the individual is uncertain about how to adjust the voltage output using a trim pot.
memoguy
Hi all!

I am looking for a low cost power regulation solution. Simply put, I need to be able to give a system 12v and get outputs of 5V@2A and 6.5V@1A.

I was thinking of using two of these with the output in parallel:
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/switching-regulators/6727124/

And two of these with the output in parallel:
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/switching-regulators/6727089/

But that would end up costing $40 and I am not even sure if you can put switching regulators in parallel like that.

So, I am looking for a lower cost solution that is easy to implement. It would be ideal if the components could be bought at RS or Jaycar.

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
BUMP

Is any anyone able to offer any help?

memoguy said:
... and I am not even sure if you can put switching regulators in parallel like that.
I would think you cannot simply parallel them.

Looking back over past posts at the buck converters previously mentioned in construction projects, I note that vk6kro has referred to the LM2596. If price is a good indicator, it looks okay to me! http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=LM2596

I'd need to check the technicalities closer, but with 12V in, you are wanting –5V out? Also, +6.5V?

The LM2596 looks good. I am wanting +5v & +6.5v out.

I am not certain how I would define the voltage output. I am thinking I adjust that trim pot.

1. How does a low cost buck regulator work?

A low cost buck regulator is a type of DC-DC converter that steps down a higher input voltage (in this case, 12V) to a lower output voltage (5V and 6.5V). It does this by using a switching circuit to rapidly turn the input voltage on and off, creating a lower average output voltage.

2. What is the input and output current of this buck regulator?

The input current for this buck regulator is dependent on the input voltage and the efficiency of the regulator. The output current is 2A for the 5V output and 1A for the 6.5V output. This means that the regulator can supply up to 2A of current at 5V and up to 1A of current at 6.5V.

3. Is this buck regulator suitable for my project?

This buck regulator is suitable for projects that require a lower voltage and can operate within the specified input and output current limits. It is also important to check the efficiency and stability of the regulator for your specific application.

4. What are the advantages of using a buck regulator?

One advantage of using a buck regulator is its efficiency in stepping down the input voltage, which can save power and reduce heat dissipation. It also provides a stable output voltage despite variations in the input voltage. Additionally, it is a compact and cost-effective solution for voltage conversion.

5. How do I choose the right buck regulator for my project?

When selecting a buck regulator, it is important to consider the input and output voltage and current requirements, as well as the efficiency and stability of the regulator. It is also important to ensure that the regulator can handle any voltage spikes or noise that may occur in your application. Researching and comparing different buck regulators can help you find the best fit for your project.