My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation

• Thread starter Vodkacannon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for calculating the temperature of an object based on its specific heat capacity, re-entry speed, and other factors. The formula is derived by setting the work equation equal to the energy-temperature relationship and solving for temperature. The accuracy of this equation in describing temperature gain through freefall back to earth is questioned, with the suggestion of using dynamic pressure and adiabatic heating to estimate it. However, this method does not account for skin friction.
Vodkacannon
I wanted to figure out the temperature(t2) of any object based on things such as its specific heat capacity, re-entry speed, etc.

Work: W = Fy

Force by Air: FD = 1/2pv2CDA

Energy-temperature relationship: Q = mc(t2 - t1)

Setting things equal & solving for t2 gives:

t2 = (1/2pv2CDAy+mct1) / mc

(I'm sorry I could not get latex to format all of the formulas correctly so I formatted none of them...)

So, how accurate is this equation in describing temperature gain through freefall back down to earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to take a guess and say you get an estimate by finding the dynamic pressure (q = 0.5 * density * velocity^2) and solving for the adiabatic heating due to the pressure rise. This doesn't take any skin friction into account however.

1. What is "My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation"?

"My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation" is a scientific method used to calculate the temperature during the process of re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.

2. How does "My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation" work?

This calculation takes into account various factors such as the object's velocity, mass, and atmospheric conditions to determine the temperature it will experience during re-entry.

3. What is the importance of "My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation"?

Knowing the re-entry temperature is crucial for designing spacecraft and other objects that need to survive the intense heat and pressure of re-entry.

4. Who can use "My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation"?

Scientists and engineers in the aerospace industry are the primary users of this calculation. It can also be used by researchers and students studying atmospheric science and space technology.

5. How accurate is "My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation"?

The accuracy of this calculation depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made. With precise data, it can provide a fairly accurate estimation of the re-entry temperature.