How to check algebraic long division?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in multiplying numbers that look similar and the importance of being conscious while doing so. Additionally, a tip is provided to check the accuracy of a division problem by multiplying the quotient by the divisor. The speaker expresses gratitude for this helpful method.
Tyrion101
My errors all involve multiplying numbers that look the same, for instance if there is a 2 that I'm supposed to multiply by a 2a I'll put 2 a, and not think about it till I see I got the answer wrong. Is there a way I can do something to the answer to see if it is right before I submit it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Division is just multiplication backward. Multiplication is usually much easier and less error-prone. If I understand correctly, you're asking: "If I try to compute f/g and get answer h, how do I check whether it's correct?" If that's the question, then a quick check is to compute g*h and see whether you get f.

Tyrion101 said:
My errors all involve multiplying numbers that look the same, for instance if there is a 2 that I'm supposed to multiply by a 2a I'll put 2 a, and not think about it till I see I got the answer wrong.

Multiplying the individual terms requires a little bit of conscious focus. One must watch what one is doing.

Is there a way I can do something to the answer to see if it is right before I submit it?

Yes. Multiply the resulting quotient by the divisor. When you simplify this multiplication, to general form, it must match the dividend.

Don't know why it didn't occur to me, but that makes sense. Thanks.

There are a few strategies that you can use to check your algebraic long division before submitting your answer. One approach is to double check your multiplication steps by using the distributive property. For example, if you are supposed to multiply 2a by 2, you can rewrite it as 2 x (2a) and then use the distributive property to get 4a. This can help you catch any errors in your multiplication.

Another strategy is to plug your final answer back into the original equation and see if it works. For example, if you are dividing 6a^2 + 4a by 2a, your final answer should be 3a + 2. You can then plug this answer back into the original equation and see if it works out correctly.

Additionally, you can also use a calculator to check your work. Most calculators have a built-in function for algebraic long division, so you can compare your answer to the calculator's answer to see if they match.

Lastly, it's always a good idea to review the steps of algebraic long division and make sure you are following them correctly. Sometimes, simple mistakes can be avoided by double checking your work and following the correct steps.

1. What is the process for checking algebraic long division?

The process for checking algebraic long division involves dividing the dividend by the divisor, multiplying the quotient by the divisor, and then subtracting the result from the dividend. The remainder should be equal to zero if the division was done correctly.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct in algebraic long division, you can follow the steps of the division process in reverse. Multiply the quotient by the divisor and add any remainder to the result. The final answer should be equal to the dividend.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my algebraic long division?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your algebraic long division. However, it is important to understand the process and steps involved in the division to ensure accuracy.

4. What should I do if my remainder is not equal to zero?

If your remainder is not equal to zero in algebraic long division, it means that there is a mistake in either the division or the multiplication step. You should go back and check your work to find the error and correct it.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid in algebraic long division?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid in algebraic long division. These include incorrectly multiplying the quotient by the divisor, forgetting to subtract the result from the dividend, and making errors in the calculations. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with each step of the division process.