Gametes & Mitosis: Do Gametes Undergo Replication?

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
In summary: Haploid_life_cycleIn summary, gametes are produced through the process of meiosis and can undergo mitosis to produce more gametes. In males, sperm cells continue to divide and produce billions of cells per day. In females, there is a general range of maximum potential ova and millions of eggs are present in a fetus, but they are only considered gametes once ovulation begins. Some gymnosperms and bryophytes also have haploid life cycles.
MathewsMD
I understand that gametes are produced through the process of meiosis. I'm just wondering, do gametes ever undergo a form of mitosis where it is replicated to produce more gametes after the initial meiosis stage is over?

Biology news on Phys.org
The "best answer" in the following link says: "these cells continue dividing, producing billions of sperm cells per day." Is this correct? Do sperm undergo countless divisions (mitosis) once they are formed in the haploid phase?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100214071825AAgcIhS (I know it's not the best source, but it pertains to the topic above and I can't seem to find the exact answers I'm looking for elsewhere).

MathewsMD said:
The "best answer" in the following link says: "these cells continue dividing, producing billions of sperm cells per day." Is this correct? Do sperm undergo countless divisions (mitosis) once they are formed in the haploid phase?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100214071825AAgcIhS (I know it's not the best source, but it pertains to the topic above and I can't seem to find the exact answers I'm looking for elsewhere).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10019/ - it looks like the primordial germ cells are diploid, so that doesn't seem to be what you are asking about.

Off the top of my head, a close phenomenon might be the mitosis of haploid yeast cells.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
atyy said:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10019/ - it looks like the primordial germ cells are diploid, so that doesn't seem to be what you are asking about.

Off the top of my head, a close phenomenon might be the mitosis of haploid yeast cells.

Thanks for the great link. Although it doesn't answer my question directly, it's helpful in understanding why this is more likely.

Another question closely related: in females, is there a general range of maximum potential ova? How many gametes do females develop by the end of gestation?

MathewsMD said:
Another question closely related: in females, is there a general range of maximum potential ova? How many gametes do females develop by the end of gestation?

They are primary oocytes and millions of eggs are in a fetus but it is only when you start ovulating that they are officially considered gametes.

What are gametes?

Gametes are specialized cells involved in sexual reproduction. They are haploid cells, meaning they contain half the number of chromosomes compared to other cells in the body.

Do gametes undergo replication?

Yes, gametes undergo a process called meiosis where they replicate their DNA and divide into four haploid cells. This is necessary for the formation of genetically diverse offspring.

What is the purpose of gamete replication?

The purpose of gamete replication is to produce genetically diverse offspring by combining genetic material from two parent cells. This increases genetic variation in a population, which is important for the survival of a species.

Does mitosis occur in gametes?

No, mitosis does not occur in gametes. Mitosis is a type of cell division that results in two identical daughter cells. Gametes, on the other hand, undergo meiosis, which results in four genetically diverse daughter cells.

Are gametes produced continuously?

No, gametes are not produced continuously. They are only produced during specific stages of an organism's life cycle, such as during sexual maturity. In humans, gametes are produced through meiosis in the ovaries and testes.