Handling Dangerous Substances Safely

• Thread starter dotnetted
  • Start date
In summary: whatever you use to make thermite.I'd have thought that you could just file some off your... whatever you use to make thermite.
dotnetted
We do not support discussions around manufacture of dangerous substances.

A quick seach on the keyword "thermite" shows otherwise. Who decides what should be considered "dangerous" as much of what is discussed on these forums may be potentially dangerous.

By providing intelligent suggestions as to how to deal with handling dangerous substances (such as the filtration of iron-oxide) from a "dangerous" substance (bleach + vinegar) you are making it safer for the person who is attempting to make it.

Don't assume that everyone (or even a majority) of the people attempting to make thermite are going to burn a hole through your new escalade. =]

Anyhow, don't worry, I'm done.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think the issue is more along the lines of what one is planning to do with dangerous substances.

Making something explosive, such as an RPG or other explosive devices, is not appropriate for this forum.

Thermite does have legitimate uses in the area of welding steels in the field. It is quite common in the railroad industry for joining sections of steel rail. However, it would not be appropriate to discuss thermite as an incendiary device.

I would strongly discourage young people (adolescents) from using 'dangerous substances', since accidents may result in severe injury or death.

There are two major concerns: 1) If someone has to ask here how to manufacture a dangerous (or potentially dangerous) substance, do they have the appropriate safety training and equipment to do so without hurting themselves or anyone else? 2) Would the discussion make it possible for someone else who does not have proper safety training, equipment or experience to make the substance and put themself at risk of harm.

Basically, if it should come with the disclaimer, "Don't try this at home kids," we prefer to err on the side of safety and not permit discussion that would provide instruction of how to do it at home.

If you have the proper safety training and understand the risks and proper handling of what you are making and are working in the proper facilities to ensure safety, then you also understand why it would be unsafe for this discussion to be held on a forum visited by many adolescents who might be tempted to try it in the kitchen sink.

Moonbear said:
If you have the proper safety training and understand the risks and proper handling of what you are making and are working in the proper facilities to ensure safety,
This might just be my suspicious approach to everything, but I think that almost anyone with those qualifications would either have commercial access to the stuff or already know how to make it.

BTW,

This is all about https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=101740" which I locked earlier today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. Someone needs to find a different hobby.

I recall the thread on making a homemade RPG. I can't see how anyone can debate the danerousness of such discussions.

I have no idea how I should go about extracting the iron-oxide from the liquid/wool.

I'm well aware that the reaction produces deadly chlorine gases . . . .
Refering to the thread that Integral locked, I guess what concerns me is a statement of "I have no idea . . ." followed by a statement about "deadly chlorine gas".

That does not give me a lot of confidence to encourage someone to pursue this process for making iron-oxide.

No one hear can control how or what someone else does with regard to 'dangerous materials'.

With regard to iron oxide, presumably one can simply by it from a chemical supply place. The process mentioned would produce hydrated ferrous or ferric oxide (or ferric hydroxide) depending on the pH.

And it is not clear what will be done with a thermite mixture once it is made.

Other threads on Fe2O3, why this one forbidden?

First of all, I want to say that thermite is extremely overrated. Chemistry offers so many other things that are equally amusing and exponentially safer.

Yet the closing of this thread seems hypocritical to me. Lengthy discussions took place in these following threads talking about the same topic:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=80680
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=32161

What was so different about this thread that warrented immediately lockdown?

Humm... Looks like I need to poke around chemistry a bit more.

So perhaps yet another reason to lock the thread is because there is already a pretty exhaustive discussion on the matter.

Integral said:
So perhaps yet another reason to lock the thread is because there is already a pretty exhaustive discussion on the matter.

Agreed- that should have been the reason

I've found that my surest supply of iron oxide is to buy something with 4 wheels and a motor, then wait a couple of years. :grumpy:

Danger said:
I've found that my surest supply of iron oxide is to buy something with 4 wheels and a motor, then wait a couple of years. :grumpy:
I'd have thought that you could just file some off your joints.

Integral said:
I'd have thought that you could just file some off your joints.
Calcium, yes; rust, no. :tongue:
So far, there are no artificial parts... just arthritis.

You've been lying in the weeds for a long time to get me back for that 'old fart' comment, haven't you? :biggrin:

1. What are the necessary precautions to take when handling dangerous substances?

When handling dangerous substances, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to follow proper protocols for handling and disposing of the substance.

2. Are there specific regulations or guidelines for handling dangerous substances?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by government agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is important to be familiar with these regulations and to follow them when handling dangerous substances.

3. What should I do if I accidentally come into contact with a dangerous substance?

If you accidentally come into contact with a dangerous substance, immediately remove any contaminated clothing and rinse the affected area with water for at least 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if necessary and report the incident to your supervisor.

4. How should I store dangerous substances in the lab?

Dangerous substances should be stored in a designated area that is properly labeled and secured. They should be stored away from incompatible materials and in containers that are appropriate for the substance. It is also important to regularly check for leaks or damage to the containers.

5. Is it necessary to have specialized training for handling dangerous substances?

Yes, it is necessary to have specialized training for handling dangerous substances. This training should cover safe handling procedures, emergency response protocols, and proper use of PPE. It is important to regularly refresh this training and to stay updated on any new information or regulations related to handling dangerous substances.