1st order, 2nd order Rate reactions HELP

In summary, the order of a reaction refers to the relationship between the molarity of a reactant and its effect on the rate of the reaction. A first order reaction has a rate that is linearly proportional to the concentration of one reactant, while a second order reaction can have two different forms. A zero order reaction has a rate that is independent of the concentration of any reactant. To determine the order, one can analyze data and use the differential rate law, which takes into account the overall order of the reaction.
brandon1
1st order, 2nd order Rate reactions HELP!

I have read the section of my book over and over and studied the practice problems, but I still do not understand 1st order, 2nd order, or 0 order rate reactions. What does it mean to be of any particular order?

Physics news on Phys.org
what are you talking about?

what lesson are you reading?

you information is incomplete, I'm sorry... that's why i cannot understand the order that you're referring to...

the order is just the relationship between the molarity of a reactant and the amount that it affects the rate of the reaction.

oh! so that's what brandon meant... lol! i didn't get it first...

If the rate of a reaction is given by :

[tex]rate= dP/dt = k*[A]^a \cdot ^b \cdot [C]^c \dots [/tex]

then the order of the reaction is said to be a+b+c+...

So, a first order reaction has a rate that is linearly proportional to the concentration of one of the reactants. A second order reaction can be one of the two following kinds :

[tex]rate = k*[A]^2 [/tex]
or
[tex]rate = k*[A] [/tex]

A zero order reaction has a rate that is independent of the concentration of any of the reactants.

Let's say you have the following data:

A + B ---> C

[A]-----------reaction rate
.010----.020-----.050
.020----.020-----.100
.020----.040-----.400

Look at the first and second lines; [A] increases by a factor of 2 as does the reaction rate ( is held constant). 2^x = 2? x = 1, so [A] is a first order reactant. Now look at lines 2 and 3; [A] is held constant, increases by a factor of 2, and the reaction rate increases by a factor of 4. 2^x = 4? x = 2, so is a second order reactant.

Now you right the differential rate law like this: rate = k[A]^2. The overall order of the reaction is 3.

1. What is a 1st order reaction?

A 1st order reaction is a type of chemical reaction where the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of one of the reactants. This means that as the concentration of the reactant increases, the rate of the reaction also increases.

2. What is a 2nd order reaction?

A 2nd order reaction is a type of chemical reaction where the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of one of the reactants. This means that as the concentration of the reactant increases, the rate of the reaction increases at a much faster rate than in a 1st order reaction.

3. How do I determine if a reaction is 1st or 2nd order?

The order of a reaction can be determined by looking at the rate law, which is an equation that relates the rate of a reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. If the rate law has a concentration term raised to the power of 1, the reaction is 1st order. If it is raised to the power of 2, the reaction is 2nd order.

4. What factors can affect the rate of a 1st or 2nd order reaction?

The rate of a 1st or 2nd order reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Additionally, for 2nd order reactions, the concentrations of both reactants can also affect the rate.

5. How do I calculate the rate constant for a 1st or 2nd order reaction?

The rate constant for a 1st or 2nd order reaction can be calculated by rearranging the rate law equation and substituting in the known values for the rate, concentrations, and reaction order. This value can then be used to predict the rate of the reaction at different concentrations of the reactant.