Interference question, thin film

In summary, the thickness of the oil film can be determined by setting up equations for constructive and destructive interference at the red and blue wavelengths. By solving for the minimum value of n, which represents the number of half wavelengths of blue light plus a quarter wavelength, the thickness of the oil film can be found.
georgeh
Here is the question I have from the textbook and what I have done so far.

A Thin film of oil ( n=1.25) is located on a smooth wet pavement. When viewed perpendicular to the pavement, the film reflects most strongly red light at 640nm and reflect no blue light at 512nm. How thick is the oil film?

[tex]\lambda_C=640nm[/tex] Constructive interference
[tex]\lambda_D=512nm[/tex] Destructive interference
We know that the light has to travel to three different mediums,
air,oil,and water.
So..
[tex]n_1=1.00[/tex] which is air.
[tex]n_2=1.25[/tex] which is oil.
[tex]n_3=1.33[/tex] which is water.

Since we know the second medium has a higher index of refraction then water.
[tex] n_2 > n_1[/tex]
so our change in phase is [tex]\DELTA a = \lambda/2 [/tex]
Our second refraction is caused by the light hitting the oil and reaching the surface of water and going back up.
So
[tex]
n_2 < n_3
[\tex]
so our change there is
[tex]
\DELTA b = 2t+ \lamda/2
[/tex]
Therefore, the relative shift is
[tex]
\delta=\delta b - \delta a=2t+\lamda/2-lambda/2=2t
[/tex]
So we se tthat equal to constructive interference
and we get
[tex]2t=m\lamda_c[/tex]
[tex]t=m\lambda_c/2[/tex]
so t=320nm.
So in the similar fashion, i can find the thickness t for destructive interference.
instead of setting [tex] 2t=m\lambda_c, I can set 2t=(m+1/2)\lamda_c)[/tex]
and by setting m = 1
I find t= 128nm..
so my question is? I have two different thicknesses, how do i 'combine them' or manipulate them to get my total thickness?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not completely happy with this approach, but since nobody is attempting it here is my thoughts on your problem. The refractive index of a medium is somewhat dependent on the wavelenght of the light. For larger wavelengths it usually increases - let's take it to be [itex]n_o+\Delta[/itex] for the red wavelenght and [itex]n_o-\Delta[/itex] for the blue (the given one assumed to be for green in the middle of the spectrum).
For constructive interference we have
[tex]t=\frac{\lambda _r}{2(n_o+\Delta)}=\frac{a}{n_o+\Delta}[/tex]
and for destructive
[tex]t=\frac{\lambda _b}{4(n_o-\Delta)}=\frac{b}{n_o-\Delta}[/tex]
the ticknesses should be equal therfore
[tex]\frac{n_o+\Delta}{a}=\frac{n_o-\Delta}{b}[/tex]
which enables you to solve for [itex]\Delta[/itex]
The problem with this approach is to assume that the two refractive indices will be the same amount from the given one. If one can find another equation relating the quantities then this assumption is not needed.

georgeh said:

A Thin film of oil ( n=1.25) is located on a smooth wet pavement. When viewed perpendicular to the pavement, the film reflects most strongly red light at 640nm and reflect no blue light at 512nm. How thick is the oil film?

air,oil,and water.
So..

[tex] n_2 > n_1[/tex]
Our second refraction is caused by the light hitting the oil and reaching the surface of water and going back up.
So
[tex]
n_2 < n_3
[\tex]
so our change there is
[tex]
\DELTA b = 2t+ \lamda/2
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]
and we get
[tex]2t=m\lamda_c[/tex]
so t=320nm.
So in the similar fashion, i can find the thickness t for destructive interference.
and by setting m = 1
I find t= 128nm..
so my question is? I have two different thicknesses, how do i 'combine them' or manipulate them to get my total thickness?

Another possibility: Your constructive and destructive interference distances are periodic. So perhaps you are to look for a least common multiple of them? (This isn't so much a hint as a suggestion. I really don't know.)

-Dan

You have the correct approach but I am a little confused by your analysis.

Since it has minimum reflection of blue at 512 nm, the thickness of oil is some number of wavelengths + a quarter wavelength of blue:[itex]t = n\lambda + \lambda_{b}/4[/itex]. This results in the light reflecting from the oil/water boundary having a relative phase shift of [itex]2*2\pi/4 = \pi[/itex] relative to the light reflecting from the air/oil boundary producing destructive interference with the latter.

Since it has maximum reflection of red at 640 nm, the thickness of oil is some number of half wavelengths of the red light: [itex]t = m\lambda_{r}/2[/tex] sp that the relative phase shift is [itex]2*2\pi/2 = 2\pi[/itex], thereby producing constructive interference upon reflection from both surfaces.

So:

[tex]m\lambda_{r}/2 = n\lambda_{b} +\lambda_{b}/4[/tex]

Work out the minimum value for n from that, keeping in mind that m and n must be whole numbers. You also have to keep in mind that the wavelengths are affected by the index of refraction of the oil so you have to use the wavelength of the light in the oil medium in the above equation.

AM

[Correction: I think the above equation should be [tex]m\lambda_{r}/2 = n\lambda_{b}/2 +\lambda_{b}/4[/tex] since the thickness of oil is some number of half wavelengths + a quarter wavelength of blue:[itex]t = n\lambda/2 + \lambda_{b}/4[/itex]. ]

Last edited:
georgeh said:

air,oil,and water.
So..

[tex] n_2 > n_1[/tex]
So
[tex]
n_2 < n_3
[\tex]
so our change there is
[tex]
\DELTA b = 2t+ \lamda/2
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]
and we get
[tex]2t=m\lamda_c[/tex]
so t=320nm.
and by setting m = 1
I find t= 128nm..
To answer the original post, the question was the thickness of the oil film (which rides on the top of the water). It is true that the light will travel through three mediums, but I think it's assumed that the pavement won't reflect much light (or at least be a very diffuse reflection), making the third medium, water, irrelevant.

1. What is an interference question?

An interference question is a type of question that involves the concept of interference in physics. It typically asks about the effects of overlapping waves or signals, and how they interact with each other.

2. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of two surfaces of a thin film, such as a soap bubble or a layer of oil on water. The waves interfere with each other, creating patterns of light and dark regions.

3. How does thin film interference work?

Thin film interference occurs because of the differences in the distance that light travels when reflecting off of the two surfaces of the thin film. The waves that travel a shorter distance will be in phase with each other and create bright regions, while those that travel a longer distance will be out of phase and create dark regions.

4. What are some real-world applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference is used in many everyday objects, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, as well as in technology like optical filters and LCD screens. It is also used in scientific research, such as in the study of biomaterials and the detection of small molecules.

5. How is thin film interference related to colors?

The interference of light waves in thin films can create a wide range of colors, depending on the thickness and refractive index of the film. This is why we see colorful patterns in soap bubbles, oil slicks, and even some insects. Thin film interference also plays a role in the production of colorful holographic images.