Calculating wavelengths of photons / photospheric temperatures

In summary, calculating the wavelengths of photons is essential for determining the photospheric temperatures of stars. This process involves using the Planck radiation law, which relates the energy of a photon to its wavelength, along with the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which describes the relationship between temperature and energy radiated by an object. By measuring the wavelengths of photons emitted by a star, scientists can then calculate its temperature and gain valuable insights into its composition and evolution. This method is crucial in the study of stars and other celestial objects.
Toad
The ionization potentials of HI and KI are 13.6 and 4.3 ev. Calculate the wavelengths of photons that can ionize HI and KI. Calculate the photospheric temperatures of stars that peak at these wavelengths, and hence radiate plenty of photons at shorter wavelengths capable of ionizing these atoms.

First, I calculated the wavelengths using e=(hc)/lambda . I have lambda=(hc)/13.6 and lambda=(hc)/lambda . Now what do I do next? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Toad said:
Now what do I do next?

What kind of spectrum does a star have? How does it relate to the star's temperature?

SpaceTiger said:
What kind of spectrum does a star have? How does it relate to the star's temperature?
Well... it has a black body spectrum. I supposed it relates with Planck's law of black body radiation? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_function I'm still not exactly sure what to do.

Thanks!

1. What is the relationship between the wavelength of a photon and the temperature of the photosphere?

The wavelength of a photon is inversely proportional to the temperature of the photosphere. This means that as the temperature of the photosphere increases, the wavelength of the photon decreases. This relationship is known as Wien's displacement law.

2. How is the wavelength of a photon calculated?

The wavelength of a photon can be calculated using the equation λ = hc/E, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and E is the energy of the photon. This equation is known as the Planck-Einstein relation.

3. Can the wavelength of a photon be measured directly?

No, the wavelength of a photon cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the equation mentioned above. However, the energy of the photon can be measured using spectroscopy, which can then be used to calculate the wavelength.

4. How does the temperature of the photosphere affect the color of light emitted?

The temperature of the photosphere affects the color of light emitted by changing the wavelengths of photons being emitted. As the temperature increases, the distribution of wavelengths shifts towards the blue end of the spectrum, resulting in a bluer color. Conversely, a decrease in temperature results in a redder color.

5. What is the significance of calculating the wavelengths of photons and photospheric temperatures?

Calculating the wavelengths of photons and photospheric temperatures is important for understanding the properties and behavior of stars, as well as for studying the composition and structure of the universe. It also helps us to better understand the processes and mechanisms that govern the emission of light from celestial objects.