Long division(with and without polynomials)

In summary, the speaker is seeking a better understanding of the long division process, specifically in regards to dividing polynomials. They are requesting an explanation of the reasoning behind each step and how the idea of long division was originally developed. They provide a simple example and also express confusion with a more difficult example of 567/8. They clarify that they already know how to perform long division, but are looking for a deeper understanding of the method.
Byrgg
I had to relearn long division recently, because I just started division with polynomials in my math class. I realized that I didn't quite understand the whole process of long division. I can follow the steps that the teacher sets out, I just don't really understand the steps, why you use this specific method. I'm not debatingit or anything, I'm just wondering about the reasoning behind the steps, I guess another way to describe what I'm looking for would be how someone would come up with the idea of long division, and understand why you take all of the steps. This is probably really simple, but I just don't really understand it. He's an example to aid this explanation: 210/7.

I used a fairly simple example just so that I can get the important points. If someone could explain the process of long dividing this, as well as the reasoning, I'd be greatful. Note, I know how to long divide it, I just understand the method.

I'll get to the harder polynomial confusion after this has been sorted out. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
what does 210 over 7 mean? we trying to find numbes q and r so that 210 = 7*q + r. 210 has three figures so we start by seeing if we can write 210 as 700*s + something postive. cose then we could write

210 =7*100*s + something

and work on the something recursively.

Of course 210 is less than 700 so we can't do this. The next nicest big multiple of 7 is 70, so what happens if we try to write 210 as 70*3 +0 so we stop.Try working through a more difficult example to see what's going on

Ok, a more difficult example, let's say 567/8.

1. What is long division?

Long division is a method of dividing two numbers by repeatedly subtracting multiples of the divisor from the dividend. It is typically used for dividing large numbers or numbers with decimals.

2. How do you do long division with numbers?

To perform long division with numbers, you need to first set up the problem by writing the dividend (the number being divided) on the left and the divisor (the number doing the dividing) on the outside. Then, you divide the first digit of the dividend by the divisor and write the quotient on top. Multiply the quotient by the divisor and write the product below the dividend. Subtract the product from the first part of the dividend and bring down the next digit. Repeat this process until there are no more digits to bring down and you have a remainder, if any.

3. What is the purpose of long division with polynomials?

Long division with polynomials is used to divide one polynomial by another polynomial. This process is similar to long division with numbers, except instead of dividing by a single digit, you are dividing by a polynomial with multiple terms.

4. How do you perform long division with polynomials?

To perform long division with polynomials, you need to first arrange the polynomials in descending order. Then, you divide the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor and write the quotient on top. Multiply the quotient by the divisor and write the product below the dividend. Subtract the product from the first part of the dividend and bring down the next term. Repeat this process until there are no more terms to bring down and you have a remainder, if any.

5. Why is long division with polynomials important?

Long division with polynomials is important because it allows us to simplify and solve complex polynomial equations. It is also used in finding the factors of polynomials, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science.