Inverse of Matrix: Reduce Augmented Matrix [A|I] with Row Ops

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem, but ran into difficulty. They eventually got a result, but are unsure of the correctness of it.
EvanQ

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of

matrixonline.jpg

by reducing the augmented matrix [A|I] using row operations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't seem to get this one out, it's the last in a series of 9 similar questions and the first I am to have a hard time with.
First few attempts involved operations like:
R1 <- R1 x 1/4
R3 <- R3 + R2
R4 <- R4 + R1
R1 <- R1 - 2R4

But I don't seem to be getting any closer to a solution with the operations that i am trying.

Any help, even just a pointer as to what row operations to start off with, would be gratefully appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use row operations to transform the left half of the augmented matrix into the identity matrix. Do this in two stages: (1) transform the left half of the augmented matrix into upper-triangular form, and (2) transform this into the identity matrix. You can do the scaling so that the diagonals are all ones as part of the first stage or at the very end.

Now split the first stage into substages. Use row operations to make the first column of rows 2-4 zero. Then make the second column of rows 3 and 4 zero. Finally, make the third column of row 4 zero.

You started fine. Your second step, R3 <- R3 + R2, is where you started to go awry.

I usually start these by switching row 3 with row 1, so I don't need to deal with fractions from step one (because you already have a 1 in slot 1,1). Note you can leave row 2 where it is and you already have a 1, so if you just kill the first two columns before going on to deal with columns three and four, you've already reduced the number of fractions you're dealing with by half

thanks a lot guys.
just got it out then, unsure of correctness, but I've gotten a result and that's at least worth part marks :p

1. What is the purpose of reducing an augmented matrix with row operations?

The purpose of reducing an augmented matrix with row operations is to find the inverse of a matrix. This method involves transforming the augmented matrix [A|I], where A is the original matrix and I is the identity matrix, into the form [I|B], where B is the inverse of A.

2. How does reducing an augmented matrix with row operations help in finding the inverse of a matrix?

Reducing an augmented matrix with row operations helps in finding the inverse of a matrix by applying a series of elementary row operations to the original matrix. These operations include swapping rows, multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another row. Through these operations, the augmented matrix is transformed into the identity matrix, revealing the inverse of the original matrix in the augmented portion.

3. Can any matrix be reduced to the identity matrix using row operations?

Not all matrices can be reduced to the identity matrix using row operations. Only square matrices, which have the same number of rows and columns, have an inverse. Additionally, the determinant of the matrix must be non-zero for it to have an inverse.

4. What is the significance of the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is significant because it allows for the solution of systems of linear equations, which can arise in many scientific and engineering problems. It also has applications in areas such as computer graphics, cryptography, and statistics.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing an augmented matrix with row operations?

One limitation of reducing an augmented matrix with row operations is that it can be time-consuming and tedious, especially for larger matrices. Additionally, round-off errors can occur during the calculations, leading to inaccurate results. Other methods, such as using matrix factorization techniques, may be more efficient and accurate for finding the inverse of a matrix.