What Are the Theoretical Aspects of High-Temperature Polymers?

In summary, the conversation is about finding online resources for information on high-temperature polymers, specifically their theoretical aspects, thermal properties, and processing methodology. The person is interested in polyimides as they are some of the best high temperature polymers, and is looking for structure/property correlations. The other person provides a link to a helpful website.
technobot
Hello, could anyone point me to some resources where I can find information about high-temperature polymers? In particular, I am interested in the theoretical aspects of typical structures and how it enables the polymers' thermal properties and possibly other properties. Processing methodology information can also be interesting.

I prefer online sources, if possible, so I could access the information in the evening hours.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Polyimides are some of the best high temperature polymers. Processing is a function of the product that is produced. By theoretical aspects I assume that you refer to some structure/property correlations?

Here is an interesting site:

http://www.pslc.ws/macrog/imide.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
By theoretical aspects I assume that you refer to some structure/property correlations?
Yes. Thanks for the link. :smile:

What is a high temperature polymer?

A high temperature polymer is a type of plastic material that can withstand high temperatures without melting or degrading. These polymers have a high glass transition temperature, typically above 150°C.

What are some common applications of high temperature polymers?

High temperature polymers are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics, where heat resistance and durability are important. They are also used in high temperature environments, such as in engine components and industrial machinery.

How are high temperature polymers different from regular plastics?

High temperature polymers have a higher melting point and can withstand higher temperatures without losing their strength or structure. They also have a higher glass transition temperature, meaning they do not become brittle at high temperatures like regular plastics do.

What are some examples of high temperature polymers?

Polyimides, polyether ether ketone (PEEK), and polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) are some common examples of high temperature polymers. Other examples include polyetherimide (PEI), polysulfones, and polybenzimidazole (PBI).

How are high temperature polymers developed and manufactured?

High temperature polymers are typically developed through specialized polymerization processes and are then manufactured using techniques such as injection molding, extrusion, or compression molding. The specific manufacturing process depends on the type of polymer and its intended application.