Install Programs Without Admin Access on Windows XP

In summary, it is possible to install programs without admin access on Windows XP by using portable installations. This involves downloading the program's files and running it from a USB drive or external hard drive. However, there may be limitations and potential security risks associated with this method. There is no other way to install programs without admin access on Windows XP without using portable installations, as the installation process typically requires admin privileges.
ranger
Gold Member
When I'm a regular user in windows 2000 i.e. not admin or power user and I want to install a program, I would hold down the shift key and right click on the installation file and select "Run As", then I could enter the admin credentials and install the program without switching user accounts.
But this doesn't seem to work in windows xp. Anyone know an alternate way to accomplishing this?

thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Works on XP for me. You can disable this feature, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830568

Thanks for the reference, mgb_phys.

1. Can I install programs without admin access on Windows XP?

Yes, it is possible to install programs without admin access on Windows XP by using a technique called "portable installation". This involves installing the program onto a USB drive or external hard drive, and then running it from there without needing admin privileges.

2. What is the process for installing programs without admin access on Windows XP?

The process for installing programs without admin access on Windows XP involves downloading the program's portable installation files, transferring them to a USB drive or external hard drive, and then running the program from that drive. This allows the program to be installed and run without needing admin privileges on the computer.

3. Are there any limitations to installing programs without admin access on Windows XP?

Yes, there may be limitations to installing programs without admin access on Windows XP. Some programs may not have a portable installation option available, and therefore cannot be installed without admin privileges. Additionally, certain features of a program may not work properly without admin access.

4. Are there any security risks associated with installing programs without admin access on Windows XP?

Yes, there are potential security risks associated with installing programs without admin access on Windows XP. By bypassing admin privileges, the program may not have the necessary permissions to access certain files or make changes to the system, which could leave the computer vulnerable to malware or other threats.

5. Is there a way to install programs without admin access on Windows XP without using portable installations?

No, there is no other way to install programs without admin access on Windows XP without using portable installations. This is because the installation process typically requires making changes to the system and registry, which can only be done with admin privileges.