What is the net charge on the hollow conducting sphere?

In summary, the configuration shown in the figure has a = 5.60 cm, b = 19.8 cm, and c = 27.9 cm. The electric field at a point 13.7 cm from the center is 3.44 x 10^3 N/C radially inward, and at a point 47.0 cm from the center it is 1.03 x 10^2 N/C radially outward. The charge on the insulating sphere is -7.18 x 10^-9 C and the surface charge on the inside of the hollow sphere is 7.18 x 10^-9 C. The net charge on the hollow conducting sphere can be found by using
mitleid
For the configuration shown in the figure below, suppose that a = 5.60 cm, b = 19.8 cm, and c = 27.9 cm. Furthermore, suppose that the electric field at a point 13.7 cm from the center is 3.44 x 10^3 N/C radially inward, while the electric field at a point 47.0 cm from the center is 1.03 x 10^2 N/C radially outward.

diagram-2.jpg

I've already answered half of this question, which is to find the charge on the insulating sphere as well as the surface charge on the inside of the hollow sphere (-7.18 x 10^-9 C and 7.18 x 10^-9 C respectively).

I'm having trouble with these :
find (b) the net charge on the hollow conducting sphere. and

(d) the total charge on the outer surfaces of the hollow conducting sphere.

What I did to try and get the net charge was basically the same as what I did for the insulating sphere...

(Field * R^2)/Ke = q

Any help is much appreciated! Pretty interesting problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: First find the net charge within a gaussian sphere containing both the insulator and the hollow conductor...

Then subtract away the charge on the insulator to give the charge on the conductor... use the field at 47.0cm that they've given...

Last edited:
yes!

I think I've got it now, thanks for connecting the dots for me... I'm actually a fairly visual learner, so until the picture makes sense in my mind it's difficult to realize the necessary calculations.

I should be doing well on the exam next week! Thanks again.

~Mitleid

1. What is the charge of a spherical shell?

The charge of a spherical shell is the total amount of electric charge distributed over its surface.

2. How is the charge of a spherical shell distributed?

The charge of a spherical shell is uniformly distributed over its surface, meaning that the amount of charge per unit area is the same at all points on the surface.

3. What is the electric field inside a charged spherical shell?

Inside a charged spherical shell, the electric field is zero. This is because the electric field lines cancel out due to the symmetry of the charge distribution.

4. How does the charge of a spherical shell affect its electric potential?

The charge of a spherical shell does not affect its electric potential. The electric potential inside and outside the shell is solely determined by the total charge of the shell and the distance from the center.

5. Can the charge of a spherical shell be negative?

Yes, the charge of a spherical shell can be negative. This means that the shell has an excess of electrons and a net negative charge.